Stupid things we all must have done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Fixing a front wheel puncture and using the 'wizzo' new quick release on the front brake to get the wheel back in (tyre inflated) then forgetting to flip the lever back before 'attempting' to use the front brake.
Have I mentioned before that I live on the top of a hill/ridge. :eek: :surrender: :eek: :B)
I remember once I got a lift to the start of a ride, bike in the back with both wheels off. After putting my wheels on, I saw the friend who I was meeting and rode slowly over to her, and braked. Nothing happened. I waved as I went past and continued down the road.. It was all relatively slow, but at the same time rather frightening.

jhawk

Veteran
Used a (butter) knife to take a tyre from the rim... Luckily I didn't puncture anything.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not maintenance or repair, but who would be stupid enough to put their bike in the car, drive to the ride meeting place, and then realise they'd left the front wheel leaning against the recycling bin at home?
Was it the person I met at an audax ride in Cheshire who had driven over from Bradford with his bike? He had remembered both of his wheels, but had forgotten to bring his cycling shoes ... :whistle:

I have done many daft things, so I'll just choose one at random! I rode over a broken bottle, and rather than stop to check my tyres for embedded glass I decided to carry on and hold my gloved hand against the front tyre to wipe off any nasties that might be there. Unfortunately, I chose to place my hand on the tyre behind the forks, rather then in front of the brake calliper ... :eek:

jhawk

Veteran
Also used an air hose (from a petrol station) to pump up tyres, w/o checking pressure. Result was a large bulge in sidewall of the tyre that I didn't notice until Dad pointed it out to me. Very lucky - could easily have gone BANG had I come down a hill too fast.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No, I've always remembered my cycling shoes ......
I have done many daft things, so I'll just choose one at random! I rode over a broken bottle, and rather than stop to check my tyres for embedded glass I decided to carry on and hold my gloved hand against the front tyre to wipe off any nasties that might be there. Unfortunately, I chose to place my hand on the tyre behind the forks, rather then in front of the brake calliper ... :eek:
An error of judgement indeed :headshake:

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I had a Tomos Moped when I was 16. It was a 50cc 2 stroke engine.

I'd put fuel in it and mixed in the oil in the tank. However, it was running a bit 'heavy' so I decided the reason was because I had added too much oil.

How to remove the oil?

I found a cap on the underside of it that said 'Oil'. So I opened it and let all the oil drain out.

Then I drove to Stirling.

Bought the bike with about 1100 miles on it. Scrapped it with about 1140.

Tim Hall

Was it the person I met at an audax ride in Cheshire who had driven over from Bradford with his bike? He had remembered both of his wheels, but had forgotten to bring his cycling shoes ... :whistle:
If you're going to forget your cycling shoes,the best way is to (a) do it on your first audax and (b) make sure that audax is a biggie. LEL is a good choice I hear,eh @arallsopp.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Mine was to leave the crank bolt washer in when fitting the crank remover. I'd just started to wonder why it was taking so much effort when the crank threads stripped.

Done that more than once. Along with fitting it and bypassing the front mech.
I've done both too. At least these days it's easy enough to pop the quick link, but before that I've ended up splitting the mech cage rather than re-splitting the chain.

Mine was to leave the crank bolt washer in when fitting the crank remover. I'd just started to wonder why it was taking so much effort when the crank threads stripped.
I have never done that:blush:

OP
OP
MiK1138

MiK1138

Veteran

Ouch! i just have a vision of wheels and Knees and Elbows flying everywhere

Top Bottom