Stupid things we all must have done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Sorry but none of these is top stupid, they're more sort of...careless. Stupid is severing the lead on a power mower, looking at the copper and thinking 'I wonder if that's still live', then finding out by prodding it with a finger. Reader, I found out.
Same sort of stupid as touching the element of a two bar electric fire to see if it was getting warm ..........

Tom B

Guru
Daft things as a kid...

Applying Grease to chain and cassette.

Inflating tyres with water...

Not me but a so called mate saw me cycling down a steep hill at speed (taking my new bike for it's 1 month check up) decided it would be fun to jump out at me before jumping back in. Unfortunately he slipped in a dog egg and couldn't get back resulting in my bike receiving countless scratches and a couple of square wheels and me loosing two teeth.

Big John

Guru
We had a regular Thursday night turbo session at the local rugby club. We all had to set up our bikes indoors, take in kit bags, etc. It's fairly commonplace for someone to leave behind a pair of socks or even a towel afterwards but a bike? How can you pack everything up, get in your car and drive home and not notice there's a bike missing?

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Cycling home from the curry house where I'd just picked up a take-away one night, I thought my dynamo light wasn't working properly (one of those old ones where the generator is charged by rubbing along the front wheel). Instead of stopping like any normal person would, I decided to fiddle about with it while peddling. I managed to shove it right through my spokes and over the handlebars I went - curry all over the place - it looked like I'd had an even worse accident while flying through the air.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Cycling home from the curry house where I'd just picked up a take-away one night, I thought my dynamo light wasn't working properly (one of those old ones where the generator is charged by rubbing along the front wheel). Instead of stopping like any normal person would, I decided to fiddle about with it while peddling. I managed to shove it right through my spokes and over the handlebars I went - curry all over the place - it looked like I'd had an even worse accident while flying through the air.

Amateur !

I'll repeat my story of cycling along with a saucepan of curry in one hand taking a short cut through the chicanes of a "no cycling" arcade. Wobbled off - but I kept the curry upright

screenman

Legendary Member
Stupid is trusting a wife to go downstairs and turn the power off when you are changing a light socket, she came back up with a drink which the idiot had slurp of before shoving the screwdriver in the socket, a shocking experience.

The wifes excuse, she knew she went downstairs for something but could not remember what.

LoftusRoadie

We had a regular Thursday night turbo session at the local rugby club. We all had to set up our bikes indoors, take in kit bags, etc. It's fairly commonplace for someone to leave behind a pair of socks or even a towel afterwards but a bike? How can you pack everything up, get in your car and drive home and not notice there's a bike missing?
David Cameron left his daughter in a pub once...

Colin_P

Guru
Thirty odd years ago, carrier bag dangling off the drops, took a junction fast which required some lean-over-age, straigtened out, carrier bag swings in, gets stuck between wheel and forks, locks wheel, over the top I go.

Snapped my collarbone clean in half and skinned part of my scalp and shoulder with a period of unconsciousness as well.

Not the best start to the school summer holidays as a fifteen year old.

Oldbloke

Guru
When about 14 I was riding my old Bitsa heap no-hands when the light mount on the forks became loose and jammed into the spokes, throwing me face first into a conveniently placed pile of loose bricks from a recently demolished wall.

The broken and loosened teeth were then removed in a fight shortly after.

Top Bottom