Stupidest ad ever...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ciar

Veteran
I caught a hair advert last night, while watching a very good probably on the army vetenery corps, what made me chuckle was the little bit of gumf at the end of the advert which mentioned that 74% of 94 women said the product did what it was supposed to do! really ;-)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Its the ever changing scare mongering of the toothpaste ads. The latest is about the acid erosion caused by eating fruit. WTF, eating properly rots your teeth now?

Oh, that's not quite the latest, keep up! Apparently, permanent teeth are more prone to acid erosion when they first come through, due to the enamel being more porous, so if you have kids, you MUST use whatever toothpaste it is.

Now, I admit all my dental experience is on dead people, but I have a suspicion that this is actual 24carat bollocks. I've always been dubious about the idea that toothpaste can 'fix' enamel, but this idea that enamel is porous in new teeth stretches my credibilty even further.

TVC

On the fizzy drinks bit, my understanding is that the acid is neutralised quite quickly by saliva, but the big problem is crisps where the mashed up salted spud stays lodged around the teeth after eating and providing fodder for the nasties that cause gum desease etc.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
As I understand it (and thanks to my dentist for the explanation), the main causes of dental erosion are fizzy drinks (because of the high levels of phosphoric and citric acids) and fruit juices (rather than fruit per se), with some other issues such as certain medical conditions and medications causing problems. I've got problems caused by high dose medications in my teenage years.

The key thing about fizzy drinks and acidic foods, which is slightly counter intuitive, is not to brush your teeth straight after a meal but leave your saliva to do its job.

But most of the toothpaste ads are complete obllocks...

So that's a special case. I'm still dubious about the idea that teeth are more porous just after they erupt...

When did people start brushing their teeth straight after meals? In the morning, and just before bed is what I was brought up with. Seems like a classic case of toothpaste manufacturers getting people hysterical and paranoid, so they do the thing that harms their teeth, so there has to be a new improved product to solve the harm they do....

Oh, and in case anyone is sucked in by advert-land prtrayals of women, I have never ever walked into a social situation with female friends and announced that I'm a bit bloated....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
On the fizzy drinks bit, my understanding is that the acid is neutralised quite quickly by saliva, but the big problem is crisps where the mashed up salted spud stays lodged around the teeth after eating and providing fodder for the nasties that cause gum desease etc.

Only in people who are very inefficient at eating crisps! I don't waste crisp by leaving it wedged in my teeth!;)

byegad

Legendary Member
Cosmetic adverts were hit by a lot of complaints about their quasi-science which was basically a load of dingo's kidneys. So now they go for 'serum' as it sounds like it might be medically sound.

Hair is effectively dead as it leaves your scalp and all you can do is keep it clean and add some grease to it to replace the natural grease you wash out when you shampoo your hair. All of the rest is rubbish.

Why do they make these stupid adds for their products? Because they think their target audiences are stupid. So they sell beauty to women, youth and vitality to men and sex to both.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Oh, and in case anyone is sucked in by advert-land prtrayals of women, I have never ever walked into a social situation with female friends and announced that I'm a bit bloated....
You also don't do that 'hair swishing' thing nor walk with a smug wiggle while admiring yourself in the shop window reflection after combating heal blisters from wearing shoes designed by an idiot. ^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
It goes on all over the world. Many black people suffer even worse from hair breakage because the hair follicles are crescent-shaped and the hair shaft emerges shaped a bit like a stick of celery, meaning that, like a finger nail (same keratin) it tends to curve around and become coiled up. Tightly-coiled hair is brittle thanks to the shape and difficult to grow long and you should see the numbers of "treatment" products that are sold to black people; in fact the Afro haircare industry runs on the mantra that once you've sold a customer a perm treatment (at a competitive price) to straighten their hair, so much chemical damage is caused that you make your fortune out of selling them the "repair" products that they think they need. These range from simple petroleum jelly mixed with mineral oil and all kinds of spurious additives like aloe vera and vitamin E, to "pink oil" moisturiser, which is a simple emulsion of oil and water with a strong colour and perfume and more spurious additives. I have a Nigerian friend who has become fabulously wealthy by doing just that; converting shiploads of cheap industrial commodities into something with added value and selling it for a huge profit. To the dismay of the Afro haircare industry, hairpiece manufacturers from the Far-East have cornered the market and the smart African woman about town is now far more likely to cut her hair very short and wear a hairpiece while her male colleague is likely to shave his head completely, meaning that niether requires the overpriced maintenance products.

Top Bottom