Stupidest ad ever...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
I asked my wife to buy me a small bottle of shampoo to take on a trip abroad, as some kind of a cruel joke she bought one designed specifically for thinning and receding hair. I was impressed to see that it contained something called "Regenium", i still look for it every time i see a periodic table.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I like this honest advert for Coca Cola

which was in response to this real Ad

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Oh, and in case anyone is sucked in by advert-land prtrayals of women, I have never ever walked into a social situation with female friends and announced that I'm a bit bloated....

Whereas I have, personally, done the male equivalent, which is to walk into a room full of your male friends, cock one leg, brace your arms, and let rip with a humungous fart. Much mirth, and everyone knows that your temporary bloated feeling is now over.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Worth mentioning the women who work on the cosmetic counters at Boots. My lordy, orangier than an Umpa-Lumpa with slap applied using a trowel. I've never found the cheap hooker look appealing.

We were picking up recycling from some flats behind a row of shops last week, and there was a car parked with a woman sitting in it applying some jollop or other to her face. A girl came out from the back of a hairdresser's salon, carrying a cordless landline phone, and knocked on the window of the car. After a short conversation, she spoke to the person on the phone and said "She's only just got in, and needs to do her make up, she'll call you back in a minute"

I suppose anyone ringing up about a haircut at a place like that would accept being put off so that the stylist could do their makeup....

Oh, and cats in adverts. They always look adoringly at the owner putting the bowl of minced up mouse and horse lips down for them. They never then sniff it, walk off and come back with half a robin.

On the batty product front, I gather the latest pet food thing is "Microwaveable Meals" for dogs....

Night Train

Maker of Things
You could try dungarees if you're feeling particularly flirty.
No!:stop: No Dungarees!
(Unless topless underneath!)

Reactions: TVC

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Its the ever changing scare mongering of the toothpaste ads.
Advertising exists to make us unhappy. That is its sole function. Only when you are unhappy will you buy *this* to make your unhappiness go away.

By way of a roundabout example, I'm old enough to remember the introduction of the twin-blade razor. 'The first blade shaves you close; the second shaves you closer'. They were quite a lot dearer than the old style razors that hadn't changed significantly in 100 years, but hey, what's a couple more quid for a closer shave?

We know where that road led. Razors with three blades, razors with four blades, god help us all. Each a bit costlier than its predecessor, each promising 'a closer shave'. I just went to check prices on Boots site, a four-pack of 'Fusion Proglide' blades will cost you £11.80. Three quid a pop! Hair Carumba!

Then when I was in Goa recently, I discovered I'd left my razor at home, and bought an old-style, single bladed razor, for about 80p. Shaves absolutely perfectly. And you can get the (Gilette) blades off ebay for about 10p apiece.

All that technology, all that scientific endeavour, and all those millions and millions spent in generating the demand for it, and the whole lot - every last smirking alpha male of it - in the inimitable words of 'Lord' Sugar, 'a load of old toot.'

That's advertising!

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh, that's not quite the latest, keep up! Apparently, permanent teeth are more prone to acid erosion when they first come through, due to the enamel being more porous, so if you have kids, you MUST use whatever toothpaste it is.

Now, I admit all my dental experience is on dead people, but I have a suspicion that this is actual 24carat bollocks. I've always been dubious about the idea that toothpaste can 'fix' enamel, but this idea that enamel is porous in new teeth stretches my credibilty even further.
You do dental work on the dead! How much do you charge?
Will you still be doing it if you get a boiler suit?
Don't you think its taking recycling a bit too far?

MisterStan

Label Required
There's an ad for a product called the 'smart trike' which starts off; 'however smart your smartphone is, it doesn't have touch steering....' or some other drivel; of course it doesn't. It's a phone. Not a trike.

Top Bottom