Sturmey or Shimano - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
My commuting bike, a GT Bravado currently equipped with a Shimano 8 x 3 speed derailleur need replacement of cassette, chain & middle front ring. I travel about 100 or so miles a week in all weathers to work. Now this is the third cassette, second chainring and third chain in four years. The front & rear mech. are original and the bike is seventeen years old, so they will need replacing pretty soon I guess.
I had a Sturmey 5 speed put on my street bike a few years ago and have never regretted that move. :thumbsup: So I'm considering having an 8 speed hub conversion for my Bravado.

So, the question is do I get a Sturmey X-RF8 or a Shimano Nexus Inter 8 - ? My criteria is that whatever I choose must be reliable in the long term. The Bravado has drop bars and I want to keep them.

Advice, views and the wisdom of experience would be much appreciated before I take the 'plunge' - !

D

Deleted member 1258

My commuting bike, a GT Bravado currently equipped with a Shimano 8 x 3 speed derailleur need replacement of cassette, chain & middle front ring. I travel about 100 or so miles a week in all weathers to work. Now this is the third cassette, second chainring and third chain in four years. The front & rear mech. are original and the bike is seventeen years old, so they will need replacing pretty soon I guess.
I had a Sturmey 5 speed put on my street bike a few years ago and have never regretted that move. :thumbsup: So I'm considering having an 8 speed hub conversion for my Bravado.

So, the question is do I get a Sturmey X-RF8 or a Shimano Nexus Inter 8 - ? My criteria is that whatever I choose must be reliable in the long term. The Bravado has drop bars and I want to keep them.

Advice, views and the wisdom of experience would be much appreciated before I take the 'plunge' - !

Is it worth the expense involved in the conversion with a 17 year old bike?

I'm afraid to say that Sturmey don't have a great reputation for reliability. Which is a shame. Because I hate Shi**no as a company although their components are second to none. However Shi**no internal hubs are currently and for the foreseeable future, unavailable.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Is it worth the expense involved in the conversion with a 17 year old bike?

As the whole frame & forks are Reynolds 631, new rims were fitted last year, it rides very comfortably over distance and carries full panniers without a twitch, then yes, it is worth the conversion - ! :okay:

How will you tension the chain on the GT? Does it have track ends or horizontal dropouts?
I have been using Shimano Alfine for about 8 years of all-weather commuting, with no problems. You do need occasional chain replacements, about 1/year, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Klassikbike

How About the Shimano Di2 8 Speed Hubs paired with the Alfine Drop-bar levers
Shimano ST-S705
and
SG-S505

Top Bottom