Sturmey or Shimano - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
My commuting bike, a GT Bravado currently equipped with a Shimano 8 x 3 speed derailleur need replacement of cassette, chain & middle front ring. I travel about 100 or so miles a week in all weathers to work. Now this is the third cassette, second chainring and third chain in four years. The front & rear mech. are original and the bike is seventeen years old, so they will need replacing pretty soon I guess.
I had a Sturmey 5 speed put on my street bike a few years ago and have never regretted that move. :thumbsup: So I'm considering having an 8 speed hub conversion for my Bravado.

So, the question is do I get a Sturmey X-RF8 or a Shimano Nexus Inter 8 - ? My criteria is that whatever I choose must be reliable in the long term. The Bravado has drop bars and I want to keep them.

Advice, views and the wisdom of experience would be much appreciated before I take the 'plunge' - !

D

Deleted member 1258

My commuting bike, a GT Bravado currently equipped with a Shimano 8 x 3 speed derailleur need replacement of cassette, chain & middle front ring. I travel about 100 or so miles a week in all weathers to work. Now this is the third cassette, second chainring and third chain in four years. The front & rear mech. are original and the bike is seventeen years old, so they will need replacing pretty soon I guess.
I had a Sturmey 5 speed put on my street bike a few years ago and have never regretted that move. :thumbsup: So I'm considering having an 8 speed hub conversion for my Bravado.

So, the question is do I get a Sturmey X-RF8 or a Shimano Nexus Inter 8 - ? My criteria is that whatever I choose must be reliable in the long term. The Bravado has drop bars and I want to keep them.

Advice, views and the wisdom of experience would be much appreciated before I take the 'plunge' - !

Is it worth the expense involved in the conversion with a 17 year old bike?

mickle

innit
I'm afraid to say that Sturmey don't have a great reputation for reliability. Which is a shame. Because I hate Shi**no as a company although their components are second to none. However Shi**no internal hubs are currently and for the foreseeable future, unavailable.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Is it worth the expense involved in the conversion with a 17 year old bike?

As the whole frame & forks are Reynolds 631, new rims were fitted last year, it rides very comfortably over distance and carries full panniers without a twitch, then yes, it is worth the conversion - ! :okay:

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I would say Rohloff, but that would mean replacing your back rim again.

But at about £900 before even beginning the rest of the conversion, that's as much as I paid for the bike - ! :eek: It is a great bit of kit though - !

mickle

innit
If that is the case, then why do they appear to be available on t'net from various suppliers - ? :whistle:

Yes, that's true. I had in my mind the total unavailability of the example we tend to fit which is the roller brake splined eight. Other variants do have better avails.

How will you tension the chain on the GT? Does it have track ends or horizontal dropouts?
I have been using Shimano Alfine for about 8 years of all-weather commuting, with no problems. You do need occasional chain replacements, about 1/year, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Klassikbike

How About the Shimano Di2 8 Speed Hubs paired with the Alfine Drop-bar levers
Shimano ST-S705
and
SG-S505

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
How will you tension the chain on the GT? Does it have track ends or horizontal dropouts?[/QUOTE

With a Surley Singleator chain tensioner; the same device I had fitted to my GT Outpost when I went ' hub ' on that a few years ago. :okay:

Top Bottom