Sub Bucket List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I was younger I pretty much did as I fancied, probably powered on by the number of old boys that taught me loads, but they did mention regret from time to time. Obviously I grew up in a very different era and had lots more opportunities to do things, but I reckon I'm now at an age where I'm content with little left to prove, but I do have a strange hankering to go back to where it all began, working the land on a farm. Obviously that's just a fanciful notion, as I'd probably faint now if I'm ever asked to do a days graft again. :crazy:

I have a couple of friends who have what we call a"farm". Really it's just a couple of fields that they rent out to people who put sheep on them. But the amount of WORK that there is. Just tons of little stuff. There's always some job or another and I'm always knackered after a visit.

And of course feel very worthy like I've been "back to the land" cos I cut some hedges back or lugged some stuff from one place to another.

Slick

Guru
I have a couple of friends who have what we call a"farm". Really it's just a couple of fields that they rent out to people who put sheep on them. But the amount of WORK that there is. Just tons of little stuff. There's always some job or another and I'm always knackered after a visit.

And of course feel very worthy like I've been "back to the land" cos I cut some hedges back or lugged some stuff from one place to another.

Lol, I do the same for the local farmer just behind me. He actually works in oil and gas and and does a month on and month off, so he needs a hand from time to time and I'm happy to oblige, but he knows its the easy stuff. :laugh:

There's a recumbent you can go for a ride on in the North lancs south Cumbria area if you are passing and it's not too much effort to contact me for a go. Just beware it's not for sale and if you enjoy it there's not that many used for sale around. It could be very expensive buying new if you actually get hooked!

Mine is a German tank of a recumbent bicycle so not the fastest but you'll hit some speed on local hills. There's one that i used to get to 58mph on my old upright. If you ignore the 30mph speed limit, that you're not able to be prosecuted for beating, outside the countryside located primary school that is. I did it outside school times when there was only the NSL applied there.

Anyway, if you really want to move your sub bucket to full bucket as you're passing. The offers there Mr dogtrousers.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You need a big heart to tackle Campbeltown to Oban. :eek:

I / we wouldn't do that leg in one day.

I actually think a better route would be Adrossan to Arran ferry, go across and up the west coast of Arran and ferry over to Claonaig and head up to Tarbert

Slick

Guru
I may be mis-remembering but I didn't think it was that bad? 50 miles a day? Which I appreciate is a fair distance but you don't have to hammer it.

I ran trucks on that road, it wasn't the distance or the terrain that would concern me.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I would like to do more touring again but staying in Scotland rather than going foreign. Done the foreign bits but my health, or rather lack of makes any touring a bit daunting.
This would be motorised with a trike and tent in the car.
Tried recumbents years ago by invitation at Neatworks? In Duns a couple of hundred miles from home. Rather fancied one but could not justify the £800 pounds at the time to my everlasting regret.

Slick

Guru
I / we wouldn't do that leg in one day.

I actually think a better route would be Adrossan to Arran ferry, go across and up the west coast of Arran and ferry over to Claonaig and head up to Tarbert

Yeah, that's a bit better, still tricky from Tarbert though.

I did think about a trip the other way, Glasgow to Campbeltown but my brother wanted to do it at night, but I thought that would be worse and it just kind of petered out.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Id have a Norton or Enfield!

Me too, but I like them!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I ran trucks on that road, it wasn't the distance or the terrain that would concern me.

the answer is not to use "that road" but minor roads and the odd off-road bit to keep away from the traffic

1716216474799.png

Slick

Guru
the answer is not to use "that road" but minor roads and the odd off-road bit to keep away from the traffic

View attachment 731565

Ooft, the east side of Kintyre is a timber route, also quite popular with the wind farm boys and us either up or down. Very doable, but a tough day's cycle.

I did cycle through the night to Fort William through Glen Coe. That was class.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
From Tarbert I would just go straight up to Lochgilphead then on to Oban before cutting across to Mull and then over to Ardnamurchan before continuing up the west coast via Salen. The alternative there would be over Fishnish /Lochaline to Strontian and on to Salen and then north.
Not done that area for about 4 years and traffic volume will probably have increased a lot.

Slick

Guru
From Tarbert I would just go straight up to Lochgilphead then on to Oban before cutting across to Mull and then over to Ardnamurchan before continuing up the west coast via Salen. The alternative there would be over Fishnish /Lochaline to Strontian and on to Salen and then north.
Not done that area for about 4 years and traffic volume will probably have increased a lot.

Its still a good shout.

I went over the council ferry at Corran, and it was a cracking cycle from there.

Top Bottom