Suggest my upgrade, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Mann

Hi all,
New to this forum and just returned to being a roadie.

I lost touch with bikes for many years but my wife picked up the itch last summer, buying a Giant OCR3W. I used her old steel touring dinosaur for all last summer but recently bought this at a great price:
2007 Lemond Reno;
http://www.lemondbikes.com/bike_archive/2007/road_racing/performance_aluminum/reno.php

I'm a nerdy enthousuiast type and am already contemplating upgrades....
Can anyone suggest what shoud be first?

My guess is the brakes. They are black no-name things.
Wheels?

I'm looking for 'reasonable' suggestions with an eye to best performance value for the price.

I've already replaced the stock saddle with a white Time Activ' TI AIR FLOW seat (205g) (www.time-sport.com), and swapped out the original black handlebar tape for a nice pure white to go with the seat.

Also swapped the pedals with cages for a pair of KEO Easy pedals.

Any help would be great,
Thanks,
Peter

bianco

I'd see what wears out and upgrade from there. However if you're a must spend money type I'd go for some new brake blocks, kool stop salmon. They'll be much nicer to your rims.

Hello Peter. You should probably post a picture of your wife so we can take a look at the components to see what could be upgraded... :wacko:. (There is a CycleChat test team led by Fnaar, who hang out in the café)

Ooops - wrong subject. :ohmy:

Looks like a nice bike and bianco has a sensible thought. I would probably invest in some very comfortable road specific clothing - the bits on the bike will work but you will not if you find yourself all bungled up whilst sitting upon.
Good prices online for decent bib shorts, a well cut top (like the CycleChat ones!;)) and decent gloves and sunglasses.

And. Keep an eye out for the Aldi / Lidl 'bicycle' days :blush:
Happy riding.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't go too mad - make reasonable changes like pads as they make a significant difference to how the braking feels and the efficiency of it.

Don't forget to replace the chain before it wears out, keep it well lubed etc, but like has been said, get some decent clothing as it can make all the difference to your comfort - be it dry, wet, windy, hot etc.

The main upgrades folk make are wheels usually, but not much point until others wear out.

OP
OP
Peter Mann

Peter Mann

Thanks for the comments (except those about my lovely wife of 17yrs).

I have bought really good clothes from the likes of Sugoi, Pearl Izumi and Giordana. Picked up some decent Northwave Vertigo Carbon shoes too.

What I was hoping for was to solicit opinions on component upgrades.
For example, would swapping the current brakes for say Shimano 105 or Ultegra brakes (both reasonably affordable) make any sense? How about the crank set? I see better (lighter) wheels further down the road for me, after I get a bit more milage under my belt.

I bought this bike as a starter. It has some good features, it was a great deal price-wise verses whatever else I was looking at in my budget. My intention is to train with it and enter local club rides.
I'm in Ottawa, Canada by the way.

Tynan.... I've read studies that show white handlebar gell tape improves aerodynamic efficiancy by 38.973% on cloudy days and as much as 42.948% in the sun.
It also looks good, and the eventual stains show you've actually been riding.... not posing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Peter Mann said:

I have bought really good clothes from the likes of Sugoi, Pearl Izumi and Giordana. Picked up some decent Northwave Vertigo Carbon shoes too.

For example, would swapping the current brakes for say Shimano 105 or Ultegra brakes (both reasonably affordable) make any sense? How about the crank set? I see better (lighter) wheels further down the road for me, after I get a bit more milage under my belt.

I bought this bike as a starter. It has some good features, it was a great deal price-wise verses whatever else I was looking at in my budget. My intention is to train with it and enter local club rides.

Tynan.... I've read studies that show white handlebar gell tape improves aerodynamic efficiancy by 38.973% on cloudy days and as much as 42.948% in the sun.
It also looks good, and the eventual stains show you've actually been riding.... not posing.

Good man(n), glad to see you're getting stuck-in already!
Nice bike btw.

I would say upgrade drive-train when they wear-out.
Brake-wise...are the brakes bad? I would certainly swap the pads for Koolstop Salmons and see how they work then, on my Ultegras Koolstops made a huuuuge difference. If they're still poor then go to 105 or Ultegra if you wish.

Wheels and tyres make the biggest difference, but you'll need to spend a few hundred dollars.

It's easy to think a few upgrades will make big differences, you can throw a lot of money at the bike to gain fairly small improvements (apart from the Wheels and pads).
Cheers
FF.

walker

fossyant said:
The main upgrades folk make are wheels usually, but not much point until others wear out.

A wheel upgrade is probably the first upgrade (after tyres) you should consider. cheaper bikes come with some shocking wheels that Would needing upgrading straight away.

Wheels are probably the only way to make a significant differnt in weight and how a bike handles.

walker

Peter Mann said:

your wife is only 17? well done that man :tongue:

I would just stick with what you got, train with it as it will make you stronger riding a heavier bike.

it's no point spending money on upgrades when:
a) you could of just put all the money into just getting a better bike
:biggrin: if your not to great on a bike or with bikes upgrade's could get damaged in a fall or sometimes just storing the bike.

Keep riding with it the one you got, once you find hill's are getting easier then it's time to think about upgrading to make them easier. By that time you will have your eye on a Pinerello or a Colnago anyway

domtyler

Über Member
walker said:
your wife is only 17? well done that man :biggrin:

I would just stick with what you got, train with it as it will make you stronger riding a heavier bike.

it's no point spending money on upgrades when:
a) you could of just put all the money into just getting a better bike
B) if your not to great on a bike or with bikes upgrade's could get damaged in a fall or sometimes just storing the bike.

Keep riding with it the one you got, once you find hill's are getting easier then it's time to think about upgrading to make them easier. By that time you will have your eye on a Pinerello or a Colnago anyway

With a seventeen year old wife it is a wonder he has the energy for cycling to be perfectly frank! :tongue::blush::biggrin:

Very sensible stuff above although slightly wasted on a man whose money is clearly burning holes in his pockets as we speak!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wheels, wheels, wheels. I used to have perfectly good wheels, then I got a bike off ebay that came with lightweight Mavic rims on Campag hubs - they weigh next to nothing and make a helluva difference.

Mortiroloboy

walker said:
A wheel upgrade is probably the first upgrade (after tyres) you should consider. cheaper bikes come with some shocking wheels that Would needing upgrading straight away.

Wheels are probably the only way to make a significant differnt in weight and how a bike handles.

I agree,
IME wheels make ALL the difference, decent hubs will ALWAYS roll better and last longer.

Wheels - get some nice ones with sealed bearings.
Tyres - Michelin Pro2 (or 3 now!) Race tyres.
Brakes - Shimano 105's are very nice, I have upgraded my Sora's to them.
Pads - KoolStop Salmon, the best pads ever.

Top Bottom