Suggestions for 700x35 tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Almost ready for new tyres on the Genesis Day One. Mostly road but also canal paths, dirt tracks.
700x35 Continental Sport contact II on at moment. They where originals with bike and replaced like for like when worn out. This time may try something different.
Recommendations please :rolleyes:

Jenkins

Legendary Member

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I was thinking of trying a pair of these on my Tricross;
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-g-one-allround-microskin-tl-easy-folding-road-tyre

E4B7B674-A951-4F39-B655-4619A291AB19.jpeg

Edit - @Jenkins beat me too it with a much better price too.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm running the Contis on my CdF and have been very impressed; slippery mud aside. If you're happy with them I'd be inclined to take the same route again as they're pretty cheap and IME very capable.

That said I'm feeling the lack of tread on muddy off-road routes and think that nearly all of the punctures I've experienced on this bike could have been prevented by running tubeless; so you might want to consider a tyre that supports TL if you've had similar issues.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'm running the Contis on my CdF and have been very impressed; slippery mud aside. If you're happy with them I'd be inclined to take the same route again as they're pretty cheap and IME very capable.

That said I'm feeling the lack of tread on muddy off-road routes and think that nearly all of the punctures I've experienced on this bike could have been prevented by running tubeless; so you might want to consider a tyre that supports TL if you've had similar issues.
Not had one as yet :stop: but not sure if the standard rims will take tubeless. Yes the off road bits like canal paths if it’s muddy then loose grip easily

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not had one as yet :stop: but not sure if the standard rims will take tubeless. Yes the off road bits like canal paths if it’s muddy then loose grip easily
Cool - sounds like they've served you very well! I've only had punctures from obvious, large penetrations (:rolleyes:) or more often pinch punctures from hitting rocks and other oblique edges. Mine have been great in the dry / on wet roads, but I think I'm going to have to look at something more knobby if I want to do anything more "rural" over the winter since as you've potentially, unsurprisingly found too slicks are sodding useless on mud.

Ideally I'd like a 2nd wheelset with some more knobbly CX-type tyres fitted, although this will obviously compromise on-road rolling resistance so is less of an all-round proposition IMO.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Makes sense to go with the G-ones and change spec on new bike to Pro Ones. It doesn’t arrive until January and as it’s a Tubeless set up it makes not sense to switch them from G’s to more faster road going Pros a few months later for spring and summer. The Planet X deal looks good at £22.49 per tyre ^_^

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Makes sense to go with the G-ones and change spec on new bike to Pro Ones. It doesn’t arrive until January and as it’s a Tubeless set up it makes not sense to switch them from G’s to more faster road going Pros a few months later for spring and summer. The Planet X deal looks good at £22.49 per tyre ^_^
They are £24 each at Merlin with free post over £20, works out cheaper than Planet X.
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwal...ing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=39493&source=PHG

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I still have a pair of Vittorio revolution g+ on my bike after ~7000km. Front looks like new, back is a bit worse, thanks to turbotrainer.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre
they're heavy, ok-ish rolling, fairly comfy, ride well on dry gravel, grippy on the wet tarmac, had one puncture so far.
I had g one in 30mm and it was super comfy, real fast (felt like gp4000) but not very tough and puncture proof. Lasted about 1500km

I think I would not go back to expensive tyres like these on my everyday bike

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I still have a pair of Vittorio revolution g+ on my bike after ~7000km. Front looks like new, back is a bit worse, thanks to turbotrainer.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre
they're heavy, ok-ish rolling, fairly comfy, ride well on dry gravel, grippy on the wet tarmac, had one puncture so far.
I had g one in 30mm and it was super comfy, real fast (felt like gp4000) but not very tough and puncture proof. Lasted about 1500km

I think I would not go back to expensive tyres like these on my everyday bike
I bought the G-Ones from Planet X @ £22 in sale

Top Bottom