"Suicide Lanes"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
For those that cycle on the roads. Would you use a cycle lane that ran down the center of the road, four lanes wide, just to access the ASL.

You've two lanes on either side which see heavy use from lorries.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
For those that cycle on the roads. Would you use a cycle lane that ran down the center of the road, four lanes wide, just to access the ASL.

Negative

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You-Serious-Hell-no-meme-38447.jpg

There’s a nasty little thing like that which I made the mistake of using, a couple of months ago, in London. I got hit from behind as I got to the ASL, not great. There’s an equally bad one between Boscombe and Christchurch, on the approach to a busy roundabout, I wouldn’t use that one either.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'll be honest I don't agree or like ASL's the only time they seem relevant is if there is an awkward right turn on a dual carriageway.

Alan O

Über Member

I'd have to see it to be sure, but almost certainly not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There’s a nasty little thing like that which I made the mistake of using, a couple of months ago, in London. I got hit from behind as I got to the ASL, not great.

Where?

D

Deleted member 26715

This is the opposite view, the white van is turning left, I see cyclists getting pinched at this point regularly the tin boxes are expecting them to also turn left not go straight forward.

Selection_002.png

Just past Parson’s green as you’re heading towards the bottom of the Kings road. I’m fairly sure there’s a couple out towards Barnes Common too.

6766D256-A177-490F-BCC8-A5B96D3C6AC7.png

Actually, this is the one I was hit in, it’s not terribly well thought out on the approach, but it’s not a middle of the road to the ASL number as I thought it was for some reason. The car in the picture is demonstrating exactly the main problem. Bearing in mind most people ignore the left turn only lane marker, and there’s a bus lane just before that point as well.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
This is the opposite view, the white van is turning left, I see cyclists getting pinched at this point regularly the tin boxes are expecting them to also turn left not go straight forward.

Its not very straight forward as the direction is telling cyclists to get on the pavement.

T4tomo

Guru
Its not very straight forward as the direction is telling cyclists to get on the pavement.
Left turning cyclist use the separated path, straight on and right use the highly vunerbale likely to be left hooked lane, is what I infer from that.
I would take primary down the first "car" lane, or not cycle down the A61

D

Deleted member 26715

Left turning cyclist use the separated path, straight on and right use the highly vunerbale likely to be left hooked lane, is what I infer from that.
Yes that's what happens I suspect that the drivers don't see the sign for any left turning cyclist should use the path, so they start to overtake the cyclist then veer left & are amazed the cyclist is still there

Top Bottom