"Suicide Lanes"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Like that, but mandatory.
We have similar locally, lane turning left, cycle lane in the middle, lane going straight ahead.
No way I would be sandwiched in the "cycle" lane, it's inviting left hooks.
I get beeped there for being in the "car" lane: the alternative is to use a parallel segregate facility with 3 pedestrian traffic light within a few yards.
Let them beep me.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
We have similar locally, lane turning left, cycle lane in the middle, lane going straight ahead.
No way I would be sandwiched in the "cycle" lane, it's inviting left hooks.
I get beeped there for being in the "car" lane: the alternative is to use a parallel segregate facility with 3 pedestrian traffic light within a few yards.
Let them beep me.
Lane has already split into the two seperate feeder lanes, for seperate roads, some 100 yards before the start of the cycle lane. Heavy traffic both sides of the cycle lane.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
You come out of another road, at right angles to the four lanes. You've to cross another two lanes before being able to turn right. Then a third(first of the four).

There used to be a very scary stretch of the A59, between 'Ravens Peak' (west of Blubberhouses) & the Bolton Bridge roundabout (with the B6160 'Bolton Abbey' road)
It was a 3-lane, national speed limit road..... centre lane was available for both directions
Every so often, I'd come down the hill, wanting to turn right onto Storiths Lane, to the 'Back o' T'HIll' café that's on there

It was most definitely a case of pulling to the kerb & waiting... and waiting...… for a gap to cross the road

Thankfully it's been vastly amended now!!!
Two uphill, one down lane, with a Right Turn Only section
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.975899,-1.866399,218.89h,-6.18p,1z

And, nearby, the wonderful Beamsley Almshouses (circular!!!)

There was also one on the outskirts of Wakefield, but long ago, that was remodelled, with a bus lane, on the 'inbound' direction
(Black Road/A655, Normanton - Doncaster Road)

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't the UK highway code say you can avoid even a mandatory bike lane if it's unsafe to use? (or in this case: if you risk your life moving in/out of it)
You can move out of it, but the common response seems to be along the lines "of that's where you should be, in your lane".

I'd prefer to stay in lane, with the other traffic on the road. Not a fan of ASL's either.

Yes that's what happens I suspect that the drivers don't see the sign for any left turning cyclist should use the path, so they start to overtake the cyclist then veer left & are amazed the cyclist is still there

Trouble is this then becomes "another idiot cyclist" letter in the Daily Mail. We have similar problems here where a lot of roads are bidirectional for bikes and one way for cars, drivers don't expect bikes coming the other way because there's nothing to warn them, so they get awkward and aggressive.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Phaeton

I know that road it's in Sheffield and its difficult to know what to do other than look everywhere all the time.

D

Deleted member 26715

Best thing is it's a road to nowhere with regards to cycles, you go another 1/4 mile & it just stops, once under that bridge up front, you go up a dual carriageway & then end up on another on which cycles are prohibited.

Selection_006.png

mgs315

This is one of my favourite local ones:

679C122F-A0E6-4857-A08E-F4E9F8E361C2.png

The junction of the A23 with the start of the M23 going Southbound. The speed limit is technically 50mph at this point but most are accelerating to 70 at this point as the start of motorway regs starts at the dashed line. The poor cyclist that ever attempts this route is expected to cross from the left over the entry to the M23 (on about a 3-4% incline I may add) across impatient streams of traffic at 70mph to carry on along the A23.

I’ve driven the junction many times. I’ve seen a cyclist on it once who almost got killed by a knobber in an Audi doing about 85 and didn’t want to wait. Never ridden it; never will.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I’m confused, I know nothing new! ^_^

are mandatory cycle lanes a thing in the UK? And if so, where?

Top Bottom