Suitable lightweight lock for JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R1bby

Morning all,
I've just been weighing all my gear for my impending JOGLE trip and my lock weighs a hefty 1kg.
I've currently got a 2m wire with a loop at the end, great at keeping my quick release wheels with my bike.
I'm not planning on being away from my bike at all, other than the camping at night, so what I really want is something lightweight to carry that will just deter thieves if I'm sleeping. Now obviously security the heavier it gets the better at keeping my bike where I left it becomes, however there must be an equilibrium? Say 500g for something suitable & not costing the earth? - I am already spending a small fortune on this trip! Or should I be going for locking wheels & a D-lock? You advise please guys!
Happy cycling!
Kind Regards,
Rob

snorri

Legendary Member
A cable lock should be quite adequate, the world is not full of determined cycle thieves. If someone really wants to pinch your bike they will pinch it regardless. Sometimes when I leave home with the wrong key ring I just twist the cable round wheel and frame making it look as if the bike is locked, it has worked so far.:smile:

robgul

Legendary Member
There's a cable/alarm lock made by Yale that TESCO DIRECT has for about £14 ... it's a combination so no key to lose - two modes : tampered with/cable cut and the alarm goes off OR there's a motion setting that goes off if it's moved (this isn't recommended for a bike as a puff of wind sets it off) ... and it's 100db which is LOUD

I have one - ideal for situations where the bike is with hearing and (almost) sight. Weighs almost nothing, very small.

Rob

OP
OP
R1bby

R1bby

bikepacker - 60cm is not long enough to go around both wheels, frame & a post.
Rob, Just spotted the Yale Tesco cable and it's £28... Looks like a winner - ideal when I'm sleeping the other side of a tent.
I certainly like the idea of switching off the motion sensor as I enjoy sleep and so do other people in a campsite!
No rush to buy just yet as I'm not going until July so I have plenty of time to wait to see if it goes half price again
and if it doesn't then I have a birthday also in July so the missus can get it as a present for me :smile:
Thanks for the advise guys - happy cycling!
Kind Regards,
Rob

robgul

Legendary Member
bikepacker - 60cm is not long enough to go around both wheels, frame & a post.
Rob, Just spotted the Yale Tesco cable and it's £28... Looks like a winner - ideal when I'm sleeping the other side of a tent.
I certainly like the idea of switching off the motion sensor as I enjoy sleep and so do other people in a campsite!
No rush to buy just yet as I'm not going until July so I have plenty of time to wait to see if it goes half price again
and if it doesn't then I have a birthday also in July so the missus can get it as a present for me :smile:
Thanks for the advise guys - happy cycling!
Kind Regards,
Rob

I meant this small one http://www.tesco.com/direct/yale-lock-alarm-mini/209-7204.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=209-7204 which is £14.00 - it's obviously not very thief-proof BUT it's the noise that you want! [The bigger £28 one is fine ... but more to carry!]

I use the small one as a "cafe lock" when out on the bike. I also have a home made cable (about 3mm plastic coated cable from B&Q with loops created with "crimps") about 5 feet long to put through the wheels and the alarm lock - again not super-secure but it makes a noise.

Rob

The mini one looks similar to the one I posted the link to earlier but twice the price.
Isn't the other one the same as this but branded differently? http://www.whiterosetools.com/Sealey-1-5m-Cable-Lock-Alarm-System-110dB_A17NJ2.aspx

robgul

Legendary Member
The mini one looks similar to the one I posted the link to earlier but twice the price.
Isn't the other one the same as this but branded differently? http://www.whiterosetools.com/Sealey-1-5m-Cable-Lock-Alarm-System-110dB_A17NJ2.aspx

I've seen the mini one you posted ( a friend bought one) - very flimsy, number wheels don't turn very well, poor quality IMHO. ... the other one from Whiterose may well be the same as the Yale £28 one - they' look as if they're badge-engineered from, I assume, China (there is an identical item to the Yale mini one that sells on ebay at about £15)

Rob

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
There are QR type levers that do away with the lever(so not actually quick release) and fasten with an Allen key, you will be carrying tools so they won't be a hassle. Wheels should preferably be locked up with the bike, but it does give you more options with the lock choice.

For years I have carried a combination cable lock 8mm x 1500mm and never had a problem. I have left my loaded bike locked with this in all situations. I ask the questions because if there is something better or preferably lighter that some others of you use, I am interested

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Cheapo coil combination lock (around £6 from Argos or Lidl or somewhere like that) . I did not put it to the test on the east side of Glasgow and kept riding there, but everywhere I did stop was either a small enough town, or with the bike in view that I simply did not worry about the flimsy lock or didn't bother to use it.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160947683308?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I bought this to find out...

ok well it's small, easy fits into a jersey pocket. It doesn't weigh much. The cable is then and doesn't inspire confidence...I think the cable itself is ok, its more whats going on inside the box. The combination dials are cheap plastic and a bit sticky..wd 40 would help.

The cable would just lock your rear wheel and frame to a pole or something...but it's tight. Longer cable needed.

This thing claims to have two sensitivity settings low and high. However after 30 mins with the instructions Im still unable to get it set to high sensitivity

I haven't hear the alarm go off yet, but if its as loud as the lock beep it wouldn't wake a mouse up.

I guess it is what it is, a small lightweight deterrant. It will not prevent anyone other than an opportunist thief.

Probably ok for leaving the bike outside the cake stop where you can see it. I would not do a long tour with it if travelling fully loaded anyway, I'd rather have a heavier cable given Id be heavy loaded anyway. But for day rides...it's better than not taking any cable.

Not a real serious bike lock, more of a gizmo.

Top Bottom