Summer tights for chaps - suggestions please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I haven't heard of summer tights before but can recommend Lussos as a brand which makes very good bib longs. I always buy unpadded so can't comment about their pads.

When you're looking for tights it's worth checking the pads origin. As I understand it Elastic Interface make the best on the market.

Yeah, I've noticed that the different pad manufacturers have their own patterns (though I don't know their names) and seem to pop up on different trew makers products - I've learnt to avoid a few that don't suit me

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Great feedback folks, ta.
I am well supplied with summer shorts but have been unable to find leg & arm warmers that don't either slip or have stitching in places that chafe (eg behind the knee). If such beasts exist then they would be a satisfactory solution.
I've tried trackies over shorts, but find them disconcertingly 'slidey' as the outer layer and inner layer do not act as one.
Padded summer tights that weren't too spendy did exist a few years ago so I wonder if their apparent absence is a symptom of the plague.

Ordinary fitness / running / gym lycra leggings should do the job if no pad is required. Just make sure they don't have seams where they can chafe where you don't want any chafing - most decent ones do have a diamond insert in the crotch to negate that.

Have one pair of Nike dri-fit and one pair of Elle Sports, both picked up in TKmaxx that I wear on the bike. They usually do for base layers during the winter, but can't see why they shouldn't be used as summer tights.

Maybe a pair of padded undershorts underneath?

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
Have plenty of unpadded summer kecks - I want padded ones & only one layer - two layers in summer won't fly & I find the slidey around effect off putting. I looking for summer leg not warmers but the ones I have had in the past slide down in active use

vickster

Legendary Member
Sigma have 100 pairs of mens bib tights on their website. Their CS are helpful, drop an email or call and ask which are lightweight if any (or trawl through the descriptions). They sell mid to high end kit though, so there’ll be nothing for £30
https://www.sigmasports.com/clothing/tights-trousers?sales_audience_name[]=mens&sort=popularity&p=1

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The reduced ones? Limited sizes, although I’m TLG in their sizing :blush:

No sadly £125 but I check on Wiggle and got them for £110 with my discount.

These ones as I'm not bothered about bibs.

Screenshot 2022-05-15 at 09.20.03.png

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
FYI - for the moment I am supplementing the shorts with Boardman leg & arm warmers. Not tried the legs yet, the arms stay up but are a bit warm. Hopefully will overcome a very heavy cold enough to do a short ride later this arvo and test the lower limbs too.

Top Bottom