Sun snipe plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo-l

Regular
This hopefully contains photo's of my sun snipe plus that I bought in 1965, it has been in the shed for years. I took the shed down last week and was going to scrap the bike as mentioned in spokesmanns thread about his amazing find. I am now considering a restoration project. Do you think I am being sentimental and wasting my time.Geo

Attachments

• DSCF0599.JPG
    DSCF0599.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCF0600.JPG
    DSCF0600.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF0602.JPG
    DSCF0602.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCF0603.JPG
    DSCF0603.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCF0604.JPG
    DSCF0604.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 252
OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
The wheels are both rusted, tyres and inner tubes are perished. I can buy new alloy wheels complete with tyres on ebay for around £70.
The number on the frame is 2050432

Last edited:

HovR

Über Member
It's definitely not ready for the scrap just yet! My Dawes was in a very similar state when I pulled it out of the shed a few years ago, and now I have a few thousand miles on it!

Bung on a new set of wheels and tires, head down to a large-ish Asda and grab yourself a new chain and full cable set for a grand sum of £8, new brake pads ~£10, bit of grease for the bearings. Sorted!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's definitely not ready for the scrap just yet! My Dawes was in a very similar state when I pulled it out of the shed a few years ago, and now I have a few thousand miles on it!

Bung on a new set of wheels and tires, head down to a large-ish Asda and grab yourself a new chain and full cable set for a grand sum of £8, new brake pads ~£10, bit of grease for the bearings. Sorted!
well said @HovR shame more us dont think the same

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
It looks overall in good condition. It's surprising how a little bit if tlc and cleaning/polishing can do for a bicycle. It all depends on what you want as the end product. If it's a shiny immaculate bicycle then it will cost but from what I see, keeping it's originality you could still end up with a very nice bike.

I've just redone a 50s a Royal enfield and all that's been replaced are the tube and tyres, brake cables and pads. The rest was all cleaning, relubing and polishing.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
@geo-l please do not scrap it even if you dont want to do it others on here (me including) would love a chance
I can get a pair of alloy wheels with tyres for £70+ on ebay just now that will fit the bike, I think that would be my biggest spend if I can get a chain and cable at asda as HovR said for £8.
I take most bikes have alloys now instead of steel HovR

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
New wheels the rest is easy. That can look lovely and purposeful again. Cracking colour scheme. As said by some of the chaps here, don't write it off! You are most certainly not wasting your time.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
New wheels the rest is easy. That can look lovely and purposeful again. Cracking colour scheme. As said by some of the chaps here, don't write it off! You are most certainly not wasting your time.
not long finished work tonight . I am going on ebay to order the wheels. I should have them for Tuesday or Wednesday.
I going to have a go at getting it back on the road. Geo

Spokesmann

not long finished work tonight . I am going on ebay to order the wheels. I should have them for Tuesday or Wednesday.
I going to have a go at getting it back on the road. Geo
Great news, peeps on on hand here to help you. It will be worth it when you see a 'new' machine emerging from the current state!

Spokesmann

Just to show its all possible and straightforward with a bit of care, persistence and some money...

I went from this tired and battered Carlton Constellation c1962
photo1_zps697573ed.jpg

to this...
P7230196_zps803338bd.jpg

P7230202_zpsde3e9a63.jpg

Total spend inc bike about £280

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
Did you do any paint work to the bike spokemann ? or is it polished up. What do you use on the saddle to bring it back to looking the part ?

Spokesmann

I washed the paintwork on the Constellation in soapy water and finished with a dry cloth. I want to keep the wart and all appearance as acryllichrome paint finish is not common these days. The Snipe was already in tip top condition.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
I went onto the internet to find ways of cleaning chrome. One suggestion was to wet aluminium foil with water and rub away at the rust. I tried it on one of the rusted pedals and it appears to works.
I will do a bit again tomorrow and see how it turns out

Top Bottom