Sun snipe plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bike shop told me to scrap it. He was not very helpful. Said I would have been spending money on sentiment,

Persevere with it, it will be worth it.

Don't be shy asking for advice/help, most folk on here would be only too happy to help.

If you do decide to get rid, I am sure biggs would rip your arm off because he knows it's worth it.

Give yourself a bit of time, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@geo-l I'm surprised they can't get the cog off the new wheel. Can you put a picture up and we can hopefully tell you what you need to remove it. There aren't that many different ones and you can usually pick them up pretty cheap.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
@geo-l I'm surprised they can't get the cog off the new wheel. Can you put a picture up and we can hopefully tell you what you need to remove it. There aren't that many different ones and you can usually pick them up pretty cheap.
The socket they use to stop the free wheel did not fit the cogs. He said he could break the cogs off in the vice and put new cogs the correct size on the wheel. Halfords are busy and said the bike would be ready for the 20th.I had hoped to at least get on it this weekend to check it out. The bike has a lot of scratches on the paintwork but so have I LOL.
The derailleur fowl on the 2 biggest gears in hindsight I should have realised the price was too good to be true, £73 with tubes and tyres for the pair.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
another reason not to use Halfords , if you decide to scrap it throw it my way please

what make is the original rear cog set as somebody on here will have the tool to remove it i bet
It was not Halfords who said to scrap it. I had been to another bike shop last week it was him who tried to discourage me.
One of the young lads in Halfords had just restored an1980 Peugeot road bike that had been left in his dads work 18 years ago he said he rubbed it down and painted it.
Is that a last resort Biggs repainting it.? wouldn't be authentic then.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It was not Halfords who said to scrap it. I had been to another bike shop last week it was him who tried to discourage me.
One of the young lads in Halfords had just restored an1980 Peugeot road bike that had been left in his dads work 18 years ago he said he rubbed it down and painted it.
Is that a last resort Biggs repainting it.? wouldn't be authentic then.
i would try and steer away from painting be proud of its patina

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
you go for it pal! bike even rusted looks nice, put some proper gear set on it, new wheels tyres and seat, AND OFF YOU GO!
Cheered me up there. Next time I come down to Wellingborough premier inn on the London road. I will bring the bike.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Just a guess, but I bet he was trying to use a shimano cassette remover. If it's a freewheel and it's new I'm guessing it will be a parkers FR1. There available at any good bike shop or even off the internet. If you were near I'd come and do it fir you.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
Just a guess, but I bet he was trying to use a shimano cassette remover. If it's a freewheel and it's new I'm guessing it will be a parkers FR1. There available at any good bike shop or even off the internet. If you were near I'd come and do it fir you.
He has started removing it the workshop when I was in the shop. I take it the cogs are interchangeable. I would have brought the bike down to you. I am in Lanarkshire. Only 2 hours from you

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
I got the bike back from Halfords last night. New cogs and chain fitted, I am going to change the tape on the handle bars and fit new lights, water bottle and holder. I have only just noticed that the aluminium brake lever is broken, will need to see if it can be repaired or pick up another. Anyone got an original part? New photo's to follow when parts fitted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom