Sun snipe plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Best way to clean chrome that I use is a 4 step process.

1 use brass wire brush to remove majority of rust (don't use a steel one as it scratches). Think I got a set from Aldi or Lidl so keep an eye out.
2 use Brillo pad and water to get any harder spots removed.
3 use aluminium foil and the water from Brillo pad. This really helps to flatten the surface and Helps get the light reflecting.
4 dry and polish with autosolv.

Remember it will remove surface rust but if you have pitting the rust will eventually come back. It's like painting the Forth bridge but is definitely worth it to keep originality and to see all that shiny metal especially if you suffer from ADOS (attention deficit oooh shiny).

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
Thanks Tony I have a brass wire brush and will try it out tomorrow. The worst of the rust is on the pedals and I would like to keep all the parts on the bike as everything on it is original.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Best way to clean chrome that I use is a 4 step process.

1 use brass wire brush to remove majority of rust (don't use a steel one as it scratches). Think I got a set from Aldi or Lidl so keep an eye out.
2 use Brillo pad and water to get any harder spots removed.
3 use aluminium foil and the water from Brillo pad. This really helps to flatten the surface and Helps get the light reflecting.
4 dry and polish with autosolv.

Remember it will remove surface rust but if you have pitting the rust will eventually come back. It's like painting the Forth bridge but is definitely worth it to keep originality and to see all that shiny metal especially if you suffer from ADOS (attention deficit oooh shiny).
Brass wire brushes are sold in most shoe repairers as suede brushes.:biggrin:

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
Brooks saddle cleaned up, rust removed leather treated. wheels arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed) I am going to change the pedals. they are rusted, I could get them re chromed but I have been told that the chromers up here are only thin plating. Not a good finish. Advice required here do I get the pedals and cleats or just ordinary pedals

Last edited:
OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
The new wheels arrived today. Spindles are a bigger size than originals. had to angle grind the frame to get them to fit. The cogs for the gears are a lot bigger than the originals and the derailleurs now fouling. Took the bike to Halfords to measure up for a new longer derailleur but they are going to change the cogs for me.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
only getting them to change the cogs. They should manage that.

HovR

Über Member
Better to change the cogs that the entire derailleur, keep it nice and original! Looking forward to more pics!

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
Better to change the cogs that the entire derailleur, keep it nice and original! Looking forward to more pics!
The lad in the shop did not have the right tool to remove the cogs on the new wheel. none of the tools he had would fit. It is not your standard size. Spokesmanns got me thinking I may just have more problems to come.
I was going to change the pedals as the old ones are rusted would that ruin the originality.

When you're doing these things, look at them as free learning rather than problems, any issues, just ask.

There loads of people willing to give good advice to help you get this back up and running.

Avoid halfords for any other than cheap parts is the first. You may be better finding a decent lbs instead.

keep plugging away and Best of luck.

OP
OP
geo-l

geo-l

Regular
When you're doing these things, look at them as free learning rather than problems, any issues, just ask.

There loads of people willing to give good advice to help you get this back up and running.

Avoid halfords for any other than cheap parts is the first. You may be better finding a decent lbs instead.

keep plugging away and Best of luck.
bike shop told me to scrap it. He was not very helpful. Said I would have been spending money on sentiment,

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
bike shop told me to scrap it. He was not very helpful. Said I would have been spending money on sentiment,

another reason not to use Halfords , if you decide to scrap it throw it my way please

what make is the original rear cog set as somebody on here will have the tool to remove it i bet

Top Bottom