Sunday Cycling Restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Being a wee bit Scots, and also Episcopalian, I have heard nought about cycling to church on Sunday, nor have the others who do so. And as for the Presbyterians, well the cycle trail runs right behind the church, and the trail was there first, although I am sure the church was predestined to be there all the same.

Being a wee bit Scots, and also Episcopalian, I have heard nought about cycling to church on Sunday, nor have the others who do so. And as for the Presbyterians, well the cycle trail runs right behind the church, and the trail was there first, although I am sure the church was predestined to be there all the same.

That remark predestined me to spray tea on the keyboard.

U

User169

You can get disapproving looks riding through the bible belt region of the Netherlands on a Sunday. It also means chances of finding a café open are rather low.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I live in the Biretta Belt, myself, but also the top end of the Bible Belt in the States. Not much interms of disapproving looks, but more SMIDSY.
Biretta Belt
Slang expression for dioceses in the vicinity of the Great Lakes that were once considered to be characterized by Anglo-catholic practices. The term is derived from the traditional fondness of some Anglo-catholic clergy for wearing birettas. Use of this hat was considered by some to be an emblem of Anglo-catholicism. The term is dated and imprecise because few dioceses in this region are now characterized by distinctive Anglo-catholic practice. It is also misleading because Anglo-catholicism cannot be equated with use of a biretta. See Biretta.

I would add to this that the Diocese of Springfield, Il., is quite Anglo-Catholic.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The only comfort I can derive is that as people become educated, religion begins to diminish in importance to them. This happens to second-generation immigrants in countries with a higher level of education then their country of family origin and it happens to indigenous populations as they age and their knowledge broadens. This process will take many generations to happen in fundamentalist countries like the USA and the Gulf states but I believe it will eventually happen. In Christian societies the Catholic Church is helping the process by committing slow suicide thanks to sexual misconduct and its failure to address the theological elephant in the room, celibacy of the clergy.

Slick

Guru
The only comfort I can derive is that as people become educated, religion begins to diminish in importance to them. This happens to second-generation immigrants in countries with a higher level of education then their country of family origin and it happens to indigenous populations as they age and their knowledge broadens. This process will take many generations to happen in fundamentalist countries like the USA and the Gulf states but I believe it will eventually happen. In Christian societies the Catholic Church is helping the process by committing slow suicide thanks to sexual misconduct and its failure to address the theological elephant in the room, celibacy of the clergy.
I do agree with your last paragraph but can't believe you would question people's faith by questioning their education and intelligence levels.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I do agree with your last paragraph but can't believe you would question people's faith by questioning their education and intelligence levels.
Even the most intelligent people can have a blind spot where they defy all logic in their belief. Like basing their faith round a book dedicated to a supreme being who's existence has never been proven by a single shred of evidence, where a stick is turned into a snake, some old guy waves his hand at a sea and it magically parts so he can walk across, five thousand people are fed with the equivalent of a KFC bargain bucket, water is turned into wine, a blind man is cured with saliva and a virgin is stuck up the duff by a ghost.

Even Harry potter didn't go that far.

Slick

Guru
Even the most intelligent people can have a blind spot where they defy all logic in their belief. Like basing their faith round a book dedicated to a supreme being who's existence has never been proven by a single shred of evidence, where a stick is turned into a snake, some old guy waves his hand at a sea and it magically parts so he can walk across, five thousand people are fed with the equivalent of a KFC bargain bucket, water is turned into wine, a blind man is cured with saliva and a virgin is stuck up the duff by a ghost.

Even Harry potter didn't go that far.
I know I've mentioned my own stance already but that doesn't mean that I'm not understanding of other's.

My interest in this thread was dependent upon the OP having a bit more input on the effect this belief had on the area as a whole. Pity he's chosen to keep out of it although I can understand why.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I certainly wouldn't claim that all religious zealots are stupid because there are many highly intellectual people who have strong convictions but I do believe religions lose their "mass market" appeal as education increases.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It is ( or was) common practice to observe the sabbath in the northern Hebrides. Typical incomer who expects the locals to change their ways to suit them. Probably not the Wee Frees but more likely the Free Presbyterians.
I was brought up as an FP so understand the practices more than most. Slightly tongue in cheek as I do not observe any religious practices and the OP and myself have had discussions on this in the past even tho’ he had a different user name then. Aside from religion the practice of incomers who expect the local populace to change to suit them is very common as I live in an area where we suffer from this often. I will now take cover.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I stopped going to church as soon as my mother deemed me old enough to make the decision.

She did request that I steer clear of the church while out playing on a Sunday at times when the congregation was going in or out.

It was a request I had no problem complying with.

Forty plus years later, my heart still sinks a little if I'm on the bike and ride past a church on Sunday when the congregation is outside.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The only other time I've heard of such strict Sabbath rules is from the Orthodox Jews in that Manchestah who aren't allowed to carry anything in their hand when walking to Synagogue. They get around it by erecting wires on poles to denote areas that are exempt from the rule. Pragmatism rules OK.
As another example of pragmatism, a close colleague of mine is orthodox Jewish. He, as his Rabbi, is a Manchester United supporter. For the occasions Sky/BT permit a Saturday game, my colleague's season ticket as his son's doesn't offend the faith.

Slick

Guru
It is ( or was) common practice to observe the sabbath in the northern Hebrides. Typical incomer who expects the locals to change their ways to suit them. Probably not the Wee Frees but more likely the Free Presbyterians.
I was brought up as an FP so understand the practices more than most. Slightly tongue in cheek as I do not observe any religious practices and the OP and myself have had discussions on this in the past even tho’ he had a different user name then. Aside from religion the practice of incomers who expect the local populace to change to suit them is very common as I live in an area where we suffer from this often. I will now take cover.
Why would you need to take cover?

Top Bottom