Sunday Cycling Restrictions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Religion causes more misery than politics or anything else.

"My imaginary best friend is better than your imaginary best friend and if you disagree, I'll kill you."
Amen to that.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Anyone care to have a thumbsuck and guess why congregations are shrinking across the globe?

I noticed our local COE church’s hip, dynamic and female reverend has gone, only to be replaced by a character straight from Father Ted. Just a creepy, after the 9 o’clock threshold version.

Not that I’m allowed to enter any local, hollowed establishment anyway. :evil:

Last edited:
The only other time I've heard of such strict Sabbath rules is from the Orthodox Jews in that Manchestah who aren't allowed to carry anything in their hand when walking to Synagogue. They get around it by erecting wires on poles to denote areas that are exempt from the rule. Pragmatism rules OK.
Yes i remember that and in some areas of the country folk have objected to the uneccessary street furniture clutter. Confirms my belief that all religions are tosh and that the best we can hope for is that there are enough around to stop any particular one trying to control society. It's almost beyond satire - what sort of all powerful deity or spiritual force would be placated by wires on poles? The only one I can think of would be some great celestial puppet itself controlled by something above it.

Oh kneel before the mighty sooty. (No strings)

Last edited:
Now I’ve had a cup of coffee and some oats, I reread it. It really does come across quite unhinged. Scary? Cultish? Religious nut?
Very big of you to admit your change of heart after your other like upthread. Yes, it's classic speak softly and carry a big stick. Except not soft enough to prevent the writer holding back on stray capitals, italics and words like "command".
I have (though years ago) camped near there. A notice on the campsite asked us not to hang any washing out on sundays. Pretty sure that this wasn't the campsite owner's command, but rather that he was concerned about problems with some locals if customers did. I also remember staying in a local b and b and the owner being really wierd at breakfast - like something from oranges are not the only fruit. Sex on sundays possibly damned as well. And i swear the crone had watered down the orange juice - in case all that vitamin c brought on unclean thoughts.

Oh, i too rate coffee and oats :smile:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Very big of you to admit your change of heart after your other like upthread. Yes, it's classic speak softly and carry a big stick. Except not soft enough to prevent the writer holding back on stray capitals, italics and words like "command".
I have (though years ago) camped near there. A notice on the campsite asked us not to hang any washing out on sundays. Pretty sure that this wasn't the campsite owner's command, but rather that he was concerned about problems with some locals if customers did. I also remember staying in a local b and b and the owner being really wierd at breakfast - like something from oranges are not the only fruit. Sex on sundays possibly damned as well. And i swear the crone had watered down the orange juice - in case all that vitamin c brought on unclean thoughts.

Oh, i too rate coffee and oats :smile:

Mixing me up with Bladderhead, but I’ll take any compliment. I was just clarifying that this is a bizarre letter.

Have to love their consistency.

The first paragraph of the letter says Sunday is the first day of the week, but the bible passage they quote says it is the seventh. :wacko:

The text is from the old Testament, so it's referring to the Jewish Sabbath, ie: Saturday. The letter refers to Sunday as the "Christian Sabbath" There are theological arguments about this, of course.

So if the reply was "I'm sorry, but it is none of your business what other people do on a particular day of the week so the rides will go ahead" then they would have simply shrugged and never mentioned the subject again? :whistle:

Well, that letter was written in 2014. Has there been anything since?

I'd have argued that I was 'reaching out to the local community.' After all, churches have started football clubs and probably cycling clubs to give people something to do and avoid the Demon Drink.

Religion causes more misery than politics or anything else.

"My imaginary best friend is better than your imaginary best friend and if you disagree, I'll kill you."

Sometimes it works differently:

christians-protecting-muslims.jpg

Not enough, maybe, but it can happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom