England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I do miss these rides.

Going out solo is nice once in a while. You can set your own pace and go where ever you want but its a rather lonely existence. Some people might enjoy it, maybe even prefer it but I miss the camaraderie

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I can confirm Fatboys is open, doing that takeaway thing where they serve you at the door. There's a lot of construction going on around there

rb58

Enigma
I can confirm Fatboys is open, doing that takeaway thing where they serve you at the door. There's a lot of construction going on around there
I think I might go that way now we're allowed longer rides. A burger by The Thames would be just the ticket right now.

rb58

Enigma
Mrs rb58 and I did our own Sunday London Ride today. Brilliant to see so many bikes, ridden by so many different types. Hardly any cars to worry about, but there were some nobber roadies cutting up all the families on the superhighway along the embankment.

524490 524491

but there were some nobber roadies cutting up all the families on the superhighway along the embankment.

View attachment 524490 View attachment 524491
I've been mostly avoiding cycle highways since this kicked off.
At the beginning and for a fair while it was a ghost town but a week or two ago, in amongst most folk cycling and being perfectly sensible (solo, pairs or family groups) I did see two or three groups - folk who looked as if they were on organised group rides - one turning from the strand, across corner of Trafalgar Square, and then down whitehall.

" a small number of people in sports teams will be able to resume fitness and conditioning sessions." That'll be us then.
I'll have to borrow some conditioner.
Isn't it a limit of 6 or something?
Am also looking forward to the sunday rides and seeing you folks again.
I despise cummings and boris with a raging venom and have stopped watching the daily bulletins for little people but will follow guidance on group meetings.

Last edited:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
6 for now, CUK haven't yet updated their recommendations (Sunday 31st). British Cycling are expecting Group Rides to begin in July. There may be restrictions on large groups even then.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Lonica and I had a very pleasant ride this morning - our last locked down Sunday London Ride? Still extremely quiet apart from cyclists! Had a slight altercation in Hyde Park where some ****** didn't seem to realise the cycle path is 2-way.... Nice bench changing colour while we supped our posh coffee in Duke Street opposite a previously unknown (and currently closed) Brown-Hart Gardens with some interesting modern sculpture. View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49908771

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_105506616.jpg
    IMG_20200531_105506616.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200531_111842545.jpg
    IMG_20200531_111842545.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200531_111950668.jpg
    IMG_20200531_111950668.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200531_114931026_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200531_114931026_HDR.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 8

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
The Russel Square cafe has reopened. Takeaways only for now, but food and drink to eat on the grass. And he's open fro 07.30 on Saturdays should that prove useful.
I went down the new Park Lane cycleway. Seems to be just a publicity gimmick - no obvious way onto it from Wellington Arch except over the pavement, no clear route to Oxford Street. I'm not sure what purpose it serves over the existing route in the park (which is rarely that busy). But there was a virtually unused lane on the road, so little opposition and looks like something is being done. Meanwhile, work has stopped on the Tower Bridge to Greenwich route, which would be far more useful for commuters.

rb58

Enigma
Another rather splendid Sunday London Ride yesterday with Mrs rb58, and little Miss rb58 (although she's not so little anymore, and had to keep her distance on her Boris Bike). We reprised the Oranges and Lemons ride I did a couple of years ago. Astonishing number of bicycles around The City today. Brilliant to see. I think Mrs rb58 may be along to some our rides once we get going again. Shouldn't be too long now I hope.

If we'd gone a little further west we might have bumped into @AKA Bob and his mini peloton, who were out yesterday too, enjoying London whilst it's so quiet.

sagefly

Veteran
The Russel Square cafe has reopened. Takeaways only for now, but food and drink to eat on the grass. And he's open fro 07.30 on Saturdays should that prove useful.
I went down the new Park Lane cycleway. Seems to be just a publicity gimmick - no obvious way onto it from Wellington Arch except over the pavement, no clear route to Oxford Street. I'm not sure what purpose it serves over the existing route in the park (which is rarely that busy). But there was a virtually unused lane on the road, so little opposition and looks like something is being done. Meanwhile, work has stopped on the Tower Bridge to Greenwich route, which would be far more useful for commuters.
Hi Nick,

Hope you are groovy,

The existing route through HP has been rammed with cyclist, walkers, runner, skaters and "shamblers" since lock down eased. The access isn't the best, but, how amazing is it that they built a cycle lane, moved and reconstructed a bus stop all in a matter of weeks, when normally these things take years of wrangling.

We just need the patchwork road to be properly resurfaced and life will begin to improve for London cyclists..........

AlexB

Veteran
Does anyone fancy a mixed-terrain ride down south?
It would start somewhere around Norbury, head to the North Downs following (very approximately NCN 21, then loop across to join NCN 20 and back towards Mitcham following the River Wandle.
Highlights would include Farthing Downs, crossing the M25 twice, Woldingham School, riding across a golf club (legitimately) and some lovely off-road bits. Most of the off-road is no worse than the Thames Path along by Hampton Court or Hammersmith, but there are some steep descents and climbs that do require some care. I rode it on 700 x 28c on a road bike with caliper brakes. I've also ridden it on a rigid mountain bike with slick tyres and discs. The only thing I'd suggest is to make sure that you are geared low enough for the Surrey Hills.
I've done the same ride about 4 times since lock-down begain and reckon it's an absolute cracking mix of terrain.
Total distance is about 42 miles.
Route here: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/156843

Top Bottom