England : London Sunday London ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Oh yes Ross. I have really enjoyed several rides I have done into and through central London (a good alternative to the head banging of a time trial to High Beach), as far west as Paddington and south of the river to the Oval and Battersea. Nothing but bikes, buses and cabs except on a few arteries like the Euston Road. And fewer bikes and pedestrians midweek. There are even a few takeaways open and glad of business although it would take some time for a group to be served.

The 'Street Songs' ride, which was pencilled for August, is now ready to be checked. Goes as far South as Peckham, which has always been beyond my permitted limits.
Sounds interesting. Can i ask what it is about?
On the london thing, i would urge anyone within reach of central london to go for a solo ride round it. It will never be like this again.
Police won't bother you unless you do something really daft, royal parks being sensible.
Fans of the wonderful sunday rides will find that at the moment it is particularly easy to stop and look at things that catch your interest.
Tip for anyone passing kennington park, the paper handkerchief tree (near the restored firmal flower garden) is at the moment in its brief bloom.

Edit, found this.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/may/16/dan-pearson-gardens-fragrant-plants
From a pre lockdown london eve bike ride at just this time of year Quieter now so easier to dawdle through the streets, air fresher so more non traffic fume smells

Pics of the handkerchief tree available to all on google image search.

Last edited:

GM

Legendary Member
Ah Peckham. We go to Mazie's Pie and Mash there from time to time.

Double or triple pie? :hungry:

rb58

Enigma
Double or triple pie? :hungry:
Well, to be honest, I'm not a big fan. It's Mrs rb58 who is - and Peckham/Dulwich is where she heralds from. So, it's single pie and mash for me and as much chilli vinegar as I can get on the plate to add some flavour. Whereas, she on the other hand, often goes back for another pie. I have to say though, they do an excellent soggy bottom.

rb58

Enigma
On the london thing, i would urge anyone within reach of central london to go for a solo ride round it. It will never be like this again.
I'd love to. Trouble is, it's a 28 mile round trip to central London for me, add a few miles around town and I end up riding between 40 and 50 miles, which is too far when we're being told to stay at home other than short amounts of exercise. Which is a shame, as I love London.

I'd love to. Trouble is, it's a 28 mile round trip to central London for me, add a few miles around town and I end up riding between 40 and 50 miles, which is too far when we're being told to stay at home other than short amounts of exercise. Which is a shame, as I love London.
No legal limit on time out. 28 miles not so much for someone of your talents. Take it slow, be careful (and drivers are being more careful i think), take tools, extremely unlikely you will be stranded with a mechanical, take a simple bike if concerned, take food and water aplenty. Take panniers in case you see a quiet shop and need any supplies. Keep your distance from folks, touch nothing but the bike. You should really do it once, all the best.

Ps, woolwich ferry still running, tho maybe only one boat, woolwich foot tunnel open and quiet, limit of 2 in lifts at a time, folk are being sensible.

Last edited:

GM

Legendary Member
Well, to be honest, I'm not a big fan. It's Mrs rb58 who is - and Peckham/Dulwich is where she heralds from. So, it's single pie and mash for me and as much chilli vinegar as I can get on the plate to add some flavour. Whereas, she on the other hand, often goes back for another pie. I have to say though, they do an excellent soggy bottom.

I'm the same. I've got 3 brothers who claim to be connoisseurs on pie mash and have ratings on every pie mash shop in London. The only time I have one is when I'm forced, arm twisted up back screaming :cry:

BTW... looking forward to the next Sunday ride! :okay:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
You can have choice: My route at present is 36km, and ends up the right side of the river. Or 32km and end up not eating pies at Manze's (but you get Rod Stewart as a bonus).

Now to offend the rest of the world...

ianmac62

Guru
You can have choice: My route at present is 36km, and ends up the right side of the river. Or 32km and end up not eating pies at Manze's (but you get Rod Stewart as a bonus).

View attachment 518715
Now to offend the rest of the world...

Loved two of those comments. 1. I've had my heat attack (if not a cardiac arrest), and 2. I didn't fully understand the Rod Stewart comment but he has sung "Happy Birthday!" to me.

Top Bottom