Super micro overnight "tour"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not at the moment, no. Soon ...

I'm sorry @jay clock but I'd have to side against your idea.

I'm not as well up on the rules as you probably are, but my understanding is that overnight trips are a no-no except for, well, exceptional circumstances.

Even if you could argue the detail of if you can, that leads to the question of if you should.....

You may not see anyone, but that doesn't mean you won't be seen. I'd expect people to have a different reaction to seeing someone camping out now than last year. That reaction could be a visit, a dog, a call to the police......

We've all seen far too much of the worst of human nature during this crisis and I wouldn't be betting against it going camping alone.

On a practical level, if your spot is well known it could well be busy!

Cycle touring and camping is so far down the list of popular activities that we can't expect the rules to cater for us (in the short term) nor the non-cycle touring folks to understand.

Personally, I think it behoves us to act responsibly, follow the spirit of the rules (even if the letter is confusing) and consider everyone else in what we do.

If you really want to camp I'd suggest getting in touch with any farmers you know and asking them, either for permission or a contact or two. At least then you won't be interfered with or interfere with the locals.

Sorry for being so negative (I feel your pain) but from nosing around online there seems to be a large swell of people pushing to give stealth camping a try. A sudden jump in (inexperienced) stealth campers could have a negative effect for quite a while. I'd be afraid too many others would follow your example.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But why are you coming here to tell us / ask for permission.

I know a few 'absolutely dreadful' sorts that have done the same, but they didn't tell me first - ask for indulgence - nor go on t'internet to broadcast it to the world first

Was sorely tempted to get 'benighted' on the moor, and the local wild beach, over the last couple of weekends, but resisted :whistle:

Cheating slightly we do have a glorious hilltop, with extensive views at the top of the farm, for cheeky overnighters.

Will be doing that tonight in fact - new Cumulus sleeping bag :smile: - for mountain use - so will be wayyy too hot - but hey...

Mr Hobbes idea, of asking a local land owner is probs a sound one.

Just because our evil overlords see fit to break 'the roolz' doesn't mean we have to lower ourselves to their anti-social standards.

Plus there's a few nutters out there, right now, probs itching to have a go at anyone, for just about anything.

And rather a lot of them seem to have deeply unpleasant dogs..

In lighter news, we've got a naked rambler on our part of the coast path - that usually cheers up the local paper no end - so to speak..

Ps have fun if you do go - but dont report back ;)

Just because our evil overlords see fit to break 'the roolz' doesn't mean we have to lower ourselves to their anti-social standards.

With respect, can I ask that we leave the political commentary in the political threads.
These fora are (in comparison to others) welcoming, friendly and mainly respectful. This Touring & Adventure forum especially so.

(Apologies to @Moderators if this is overstepping the mark).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
With respect, can I ask that we leave the political commentary in the political threads.
These fora are (in comparison to others) welcoming, friendly and mainly respectful. This Touring & Adventure forum especially so.

(Apologies to @Moderators if this is overstepping the mark).

With equal respect could I ask you not to imply that I'm being either unfriendly, unwelcoming, or disrespectful.

I imagine our op, can take or leave my somewhat tongue in cheek remark as he sees fit.

It was merely referencing the awkward situation in which we find ourselves, which was, one assumes, the original reason for the post.

If the op is offended then I apologise, no offence meant.

But I guess the mods can judge as they see fit, now they've been involved.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is light at the end of the tunnel guys. Our lockdown in Denmark was quite minimal and now we are almost back to normal. I have found another free shelter that we may try next weekend. Its not going to last forever for you either. I have never seen such a manicured wild shelter, Its even got a brush and pan.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just a word of caution.
This time of year gamekeepers will be busy clearing up sickly birds, and shooting foxes.
The new night vision scopes mean they can see any and all body heat for miles.
if you’re planning on stopping in a rural wood, bear that in mind.
DAMHIKT

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not as well up on the rules as you probably are, but my understanding is that overnight trips are a no-no except for, well, exceptional circumstances.

Even if you could argue the detail of if you can, that leads to the question of if you should.....
Technically not against the rules in England at the moment but it is against the guidelines and some police forces have been (incorrectly) fining people for it.

This is quite aside from whether it's a good idea. I'd suggest waiting until July. Once many hotels open, it'd be much more difficult to argue against.

Thinking of a brief stealth night in the local woods. 8km each way. Don't imagine I will see anyone, so that's ok for self isolation isn't. If it isn't come and find me and tell me......
I've been thinking the same, more especially since recent revelations.
Have already scouted some spots and will do more in coming days.
Will watch this thread with interest - and now read the rest of it.
My first immediate thought - I certainly wouldn't criticise you for it at all, and I'm very law abiding/civic minded.

edit - I'd be going further than your 8km - need to clear London.
Just needs to be within a day's ride.

edit: And re comments I have just seem from others, it's hardly as if (as I understand it) you are going to be posting the location on here. **Nor will I. Usual thing applies of course - if you arrive anywhere, no matter how well hidden it might seem, and you see any evidence at all of earlier pleasures in same spot - food wrappers, alcohol tins and bottles, condoms etc - find somewhere else a significant distance away.

** I would be interested in any brief report back though if you do do it - no pics, no location of course - if the coppers should come knocking on your door (as likely as finding a martian on your doorstep, especially from what I have seen of the post-cummings posture of the police around London) you can always say that your scribblings on here - pre and post supposed event - were just fantasising.

Last edited:
As per normal, if you have to ask a forum if something's ok, it usually isn't'.
that's an incredibly broad statement.
I could think of thousands (millions given enough time) of things that folk might ask on forums that are fine and dandy.
From the innocent household to positively filthy.
Such questions are a major part of forums.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom