Super micro overnight "tour"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a word of caution.
This time of year gamekeepers will be busy clearing up sickly birds, and shooting foxes.
The new night vision scopes mean they can see any and all body heat for miles.
if you’re planning on stopping in a rural wood, bear that in mind.
DAMHIKT
isn't this a tad paranoid?
Am unaware of a countryside scoured nightly by folks with nightvision glasses/heatseeking cyclist missiles scouring horizons miles away.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Do what you will .... if it causes no harm just live your life .... those that would impose pointless rules or even advice on you for their own self importance should be ignored ......
But .... it would have been better to have seen the trip in "My Ride Today " than promote it up front ....
Just ensure you social distance from the night shift commandos killing birds and foxes ......:rolleyes:

dodgy

that's an incredibly broad statement.
I could think of thousands (millions given enough time) of things that folk might ask on forums that are fine and dandy.
From the innocent household to positively filthy.
Such questions are a major part of forums.

No it's not. I'm obviously not referring to every question ever asked on a forum "which tyres should I buy" "what's the best ebike" etc

But when it's a question about the morality of a dubious undertaking, the answer is usually no.

No it's not. I'm obviously not referring to every question ever asked on a forum "which tyres should I buy" "what's the best ebike" etc

But when it's a question about the morality of a dubious undertaking, the answer is usually no.
you should get out more/or around the internet at least.
I can recommend mumsnet for starters.
(have never looked for/found any cycling questions on there)

dodgy

May i suggest that a solo night cycle does not enter into the context of "morality of a dubious undertaking," .... chaps ?

The very first 2 answers to the OP were casting doubt on it. This is what I'm on about. If the OP was sure it was absolutely fine, he wouldn't have bothered asking and would instead have just gone ahead and done it.

This is very different to asking general cycling questions.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The very first 2 answers to the OP were casting doubt on it. This is what I'm on about. If the OP was sure it was absolutely fine, he wouldn't have bothered asking and would instead have just gone ahead and done it.

Good point well made ..........

your point may I remind you was that if a question was asked about an activity it was wrong.

If this was true, the question mark
?
would be replaced by a big booming
NO
from the heavens

(and I must admit I sense jayclock heading for the peace of the bushes as this drags on - top tip jayclock - don't take anything with internet access - sleep well)

Landsurfer

Veteran
I think it's absolutely fine .....
As soon as i've recovered from my latest mishap i'm doing an overnight "Hornsea to Home" ride ... 86 miles of silence and solitude on the TPT ...
And no, i don't need anyones permission .....^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
- if the coppers should come knocking on your door (as likely as finding a martian on your doorstep, especially from what I have seen of the post-cummings posture of the police around London)
Not so everywhere. I actually saw the police out on village hall fields yesterday, the first non-drive-by policing I've seen. It looked like they were breaking up groups jumping the gun and gathering in sixes - but last I heard, Norfolk were only issuing six fines a day in a county that's roughly 100miles by 50 with beaches on three sides, so make of that what you will.

Last edited:

dodgy

I'll be doing a fair bit of wild camping (with and without bike) next year if my retirement plans happen. So much kit that you could buy, going to have to show restraint!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With respect, can I ask that we leave the political commentary in the political threads.
These fora are (in comparison to others) welcoming, friendly and mainly respectful. This Touring & Adventure forum especially so.

(Apologies to @Moderators if this is overstepping the mark).
With equal respect could I ask you not to imply that I'm being either unfriendly, unwelcoming, or disrespectful.

I imagine our op, can take or leave my somewhat tongue in cheek remark as he sees fit.

It was merely referencing the awkward situation in which we find ourselves, which was, one assumes, the original reason for the post.

If the op is offended then I apologise, no offence meant.

But I guess the mods can judge as they see fit, now they've been involved.
Since we've been invoked; All the mods want, all we've ever wanted in spite of aspersions to the contrary, is for you all to be excellent to one another.

Can everyone keep their answers to the OP relevant please.:okay:

For what it's worth, my view is that I agree it's a bit too soon. @jay clock, you probably won't get caught wild camping but I think you may find yourself rather unwelcome if you do. See how things pan out with the restrictions over the next few weeks.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Since we've been invoked; All the mods want, all we've ever wanted in spite of aspersions to the contrary, is for you all to be excellent to one another.
excellent.jpeg

Top Bottom