Super micro overnight "tour"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Apart from being shot.... it is the calving season, he could be trampled to death, then there is long grass and the potential for contacting lymes disease.

They're possibilities for sure, generally speaking, but they're vanishingly remote possibilities. And even then you can mitigate them further by not putting yourself where those risks are prevalent risks. Don't camp where deer are shot, and put a ground sheet down.

The UK is a scary place.
I'll respectfully disagree, over two decades in the forces I lived, camped, worked in many hostile and scary or even potentially scary environments, and I'd offer that sleeping in a tent in the British countryside in late spring is just about as benign as any natural environment ever gets. People don't really get shot, nor trampled by deer in the UK.

He can't post anything anyway now because he is too easily identifiable and a self appointed forum virus vigilante will dob him in.

Lol, that's probably true. 😄

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Today's revision of the law reduces the freedom to be out overnight! That's not what I call opening up! http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/2020-06-01

MarkF

Guru
They're possibilities for sure, generally speaking, but they're vanishingly remote possibilities. And even then you can mitigate them further by not putting yourself where those risks are prevalent risks. Don't camp where deer are shot, and put a ground sheet down.

I'll respectfully disagree, over two decades in the forces I lived, camped, worked in many hostile and scary or even potentially scary environments, and I'd offer that sleeping in a tent in the British countryside in late spring is just about as benign as any natural environment ever gets. People don't really get shot, nor trampled by deer in the UK.

It's ok, I was taking the piss. :smile: I did read about a rambler trampled to death over the weekend in the Dales though. Still, cyclist camps out, no big deal, or any deal at all really.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It amuses me that I have to state the obvious here but @jay clock is talking about wild camping is he not? An activity that in England isn't generally allowed? That is done usually solo? Away from people? To go and be gone unnoticed? Leave no trace etc?
Whether it's done during the height of a pandemic or not shouldn't really matter as the very nature of it at the very least involves staying away from the general public.
I'd do it myself if I had the guts.

Don’t do it right by the road side.

You can be very close though. I find some of the best places are found by
Going into a field, walking up the hedge-line, just checking that your chosen spot isn't in line of sight of cars coming either way.
Edges of fields are very often uncultivated.
You can very often enter the field without touching a gate.
Another advantage of such spots is that there is very often nowhere for cars to stop, either on a whim or because they might think they have seen something, a light or whatever. They are just roads drivers zap along in their boxes.
Also not dog walking territory.
Close to in plain sight can be handy.

I'm surprised at some of the backlash Jayclock is getting, in terms of "wrong" or arguably irresponsible things you could do right now this is quite a long way towards the "mild" end of the scale to say the least. He's hardly going to the beach or out on protest marches with thousands of others. And if the authorities aren't policing those massively irresponsible and damaging things, they're not going to have an enormous interest in one bloke on a bike going down the road to hide in the woods.
Haven't done a count but i have the impression that the balance of replies is pretty much positive, which rather puts the mockers on one view that if you ask the answer is always no, go stand in the corner and bend over.
Stressing that i agree with you, how many police do you see around these days?

Last edited:
It amuses me that I have to state the obvious here but @jay clock is talking about wild camping is he not? An activity that in England isn't generally allowed? That is done usually solo? Away from people? To go and be gone unnoticed? Leave no trace etc?
Whether it's done during the height of a pandemic or not shouldn't really matter as the very nature of it at the very least involves staying away from the general public.
Recommended vantage.
Am sure that in your pedals around you see plenty of likely spots.
I mark them on the garmin for possible future use.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

It is indeed technically not allowed in most of engerland and wales (excepting Dartmoor) although usually over looked in upland and wilder areas - maybe that's a good thing in our overcrowded Isle - maybe not - but its naughty nature can add to the feeling of engaging in a slightly 'transgressive' pursuit..

In addition to all the other 'risks' in place at any time, consider also that those of us of the female persuasion are occasionally made to feel nervous about the unwanted attentions of men.

Sadly my overnight 'fishing trip' was fruitless* - except for catching a glimpse of many stars, and much tranquility..

No one else about, and a very warm night for a bivvy on the pebbles.

* featherbrained me, only went and forgot the fishing rod :whistle: derr

Maybe next time.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
In addition to all the other 'risks' in place at any time, consider also that those of us of the female persuasion are occasionally made to feel nervous about the unwanted attentions of men.

That's a bit sexist isn't it?
Many a time I have had to run from the hills whilst being chased by hoards of lustful women screaming for my adonis like body.
You women need restraining at times.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's a bit sexist isn't it?
Many a time I have had to run from the hills whilst being chased by hoards of lustful women screaming for my adonis like body.
You women need restraining at times.

:rolleyes:
I would say

'Pics or it didn't happen'

But fear I could be putting myself in danger of receiving unsolicited photographs of an unsavoury nature..

It can happen - apparently

Top Bottom