Superbe Frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Sid Standard was a local legend. We were on holiday when he died as a result of a collision with some farming equipment which was towed out from a field by a tractor in Derbyshire while Sid was descending at speed. We arrived home on the day of his funeral and learnt of his death from our sympathetic taxi driver, who was held up by the size of the cortege. My mate Crazy Nick has a Superbe which is just as he bought it from Sid's shop, except that he has swapped drops for straights. I bought a Superbe frame a few years back from the Radcliffe cycle jumble for £64. It was a riot of colour from a respray - I probably have pics of it somewhere - and when I rode one of @totallyfixed 's Rutland rides, he said "What the hell is that?". I replied "That, Steve, is a bicycle.". I've since had it resprayed in a rather more tasteful shade of metallic blue by Dave Yates. Very foggy here today, but if it brightens up I'll drag it out for a photo.
Thanks for posting that link - I didn't know about it. I have a note of my frame number somewhere, so I'll look for the workshop details.
I met David at the previous time the Tour of Britain and he promised to let me know the details of frame tubing etc., but never got back to me!

Edit: photo here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-522#post-4247744

Last edited:

Poacher

Poacher

My Superbe in full glory, or should that be gory? April 2013
Img0067.JPG

Various pics of the horrendous colour scheme in September 2014, just after I'd stripped it down for repainting.
DSCN0737.JPG

DSCN0739.JPG

DSCN0740.JPG

DSCN0741.JPG

DSCN0744.JPG

V-CC

Sid Standard was not just a cycle builder but also the inventor of an automatic change hub gear. Quite a chap!
Patent for the hub gear here:
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/pub...T=D&ND=3&date=19760422&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

D

Deleted member 1258

Sid Standard was a local legend. We were on holiday when he died as a result of a collision with some farming equipment which was towed out from a field by a tractor in Derbyshire while Sid was descending at speed. We arrived home on the day of his funeral and learnt of his death from our sympathetic taxi driver, who was held up by the size of the cortege. My mate Crazy Nick has a Superbe which is just as he bought it from Sid's shop, except that he has swapped drops for straights. I bought a Superbe frame a few years back from the Radcliffe cycle jumble for £64. It was a riot of colour from a respray - I probably have pics of it somewhere - and when I rode one of @totallyfixed 's Rutland rides, he said "What the hell is that?". I replied "That, Steve, is a bicycle.". I've since had it resprayed in a rather more tasteful shade of metallic blue by Dave Yates. Very foggy here today, but if it brightens up I'll drag it out for a photo.
Thanks for posting that link - I didn't know about it. I have a note of my frame number somewhere, so I'll look for the workshop details.
I met David at the previous time the Tour of Britain and he promised to let me know the details of frame tubing etc., but never got back to me!

Edit: photo here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-522#post-4247744

Have you heard from totallyfixed at all? I think his last post on here was about 2016.

Poacher

There was talk about 3 years ago of commissioning street artist Zabou to paint a portrait of him, but that seems to have petered out. Shame!
Senior moment confession! The Zabou project came to naught, but another artist, Buber Nebz, was commissioned and completed his mural just a few short weeks ago. When this morning's rain cleared up I rode over to Beeston, a complex route from the other side of Nottingham, to photograph his work.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/street-art.221565/page-95#post-6850152
Have you heard from totallyfixed at all? I think his last post on here was about 2016.
Haven't been in touch with him since about the time he stopped posting. :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

Haven't been in touch with him since about the time he stopped posting. :sad:

Thats a shame I liked him, his rides were very good, though I wouldn't have the time to do one of his rides now and I'm not fit enough to keep up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom