Supermarkets and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Needed to pop into one of those giant Tescos tonight, but couldn't buy anything because the security guard was "no bikes allowed". I don't get why supermarkets don't like letting in people pushing things around on wheels.
I was about to explain that I didn't want to lock up a bike costing more than 3 months of his likely wage outside my line of site, to be vandalized, or have parts nicked off it but I reminded myself he was too stupid and just f'ed off. Just got what I needed at some fuel station.

On the other hand I needed to pop into a different super Tesco some time ago for wet wipes to wash blood off my face and hands. Not only did nobody give a toss about my bike, but when I asked the staff where the wet wipes were, they give me some for free. They were asking me if I were OK and I had to explain I had a nose bleed, a common symptom of hayfever and that there was no pain involved, just mess. Maybe I'l take fake blood next time.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Also would it be OK if I put my bike in one of their trolleys?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Needed to pop into one of those giant Tescos tonight, but couldn't buy anything because the security guard was "no bikes allowed". I don't get why supermarkets don't like letting in people pushing things around on wheels.
I was about to explain that I didn't want to lock up a motorbike costing more than 3 years of his likely wage outside my line of site, to be vandalized, or have parts nicked off it but I reminded myself he was too stupid and just f'ed off. Just got what I needed at some fuel station.
Good trolling post IMO. should run for a little while before getting locked.
The value or mode of transport is irrelevant. The model is built around the concept that your transport gets left outside unless you have a disability that requires an exception to the rule.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Good trolling post IMO. should run for a little while before getting locked.
The value or mode of transport is irrelevant. The model is built around the concept that your transport gets left outside unless you have a disability that requires an exception to the rule.

My second post was sarcastic. My 1st post wasn't trolling tho. Just seemed a bit ironic to me that you cant wheel a bike around but can wheel trolleys, wheely bags and take mobility scooters around. Not normally one for taking my bike inside places, just didnt want to lock up quite an expensive carbon bike with a cable lock outside of my line of site. To be fair there were decent bike racks. And had I been on my Giant bike with panniers, I'd have used said bike racks along with my Kryptonite lock. I see your point about the transport thing.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I used to wheel my (unfolded) Bromton around my local Sainsburys with no problems. About a year ago I was literally chased down by a hollering 'security guard' who advised it was against store policy to allow bikes in. So I asked to see the policy. Neither he, nor the deputy store manager were able to provide anything. So I contacted Sainsburys who said they have nothing written as a policy. SO they just make the rules up as they go along.
Anyway, I now fold my Brompton and put it in a trolley, no issues, on the rare occasions I use Sainsburys now. They recently resurfaced the carpark, removing all the bike racks in the process which have not been replaced.
So now Waitrose gets my business, as they have installed excellent, undercover racks directly outside their store.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Wrong bike, use the shopper instead.

Halfords at Cortonwood has a bike rack thrown in the bushes at the side of the store. They have no problem with me taking a bike in.
But that's the difference. Part of their trade is bikes.
Tesco have no (financial) need to cater for cycling customers so can do their own thing. Also they may be thinking of the pedal/ankle thing and don't want the hassle.

si_c

Guru
Morrisons outside work seem to have no problems with bikes in the foyer. I leave mine leant up against the payphone opposite the toilets most days when I pop in to get lunch or milk on the way in to work.

They do have about a dozen bike stands, but they are out of the way and open air with few wheel-less bikes and one solitary wheel (with 2 d-locks keeping it in place!) locked up to them.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I was about to explain that I didn't want to lock up a bike costing more than 3 months of his likely wage outside my line of site, to be vandalized, or have parts nicked off it but I reminded myself he was too stupid and just f'ed off..

The only thing stopping you getting what you wanted in Tesco's is your attitude, and the security guard isn't the stupid one here..... I get exactly why supermarkets don't want bikes taken inside the store - they annoy other customers who are simply trying to move around the aisles and get their shopping, not run an obstacle course.. I don't like pushchairs being used inside shops either for exactly the same reasons.
If you are too precious about leaving your 3-months wages carbon bike outside, then take a worthless hack bike down to the shops instead. That's what I do, and I don't worry about it getting nicked.
If people with expensive bikes should be allowed to take them in, does that also mean someone with an expensive motorcycle should be able to wheel it in, or expensive cars should have bigger parking bays in a designated area so no-one else can bash their doors? The value of your chosen means of transport that you take shopping is not the supermarket's problem. Take your chances outside in the car park like everyone else.

rrarider

Veteran
I have a beautiful high quality bike which I bought in the 1980s. I don't use, and never have used, it for shopping, as I would be most upset if it ever got stolen. A while ago I bought an old Raleigh Shopper bike , which I do use for shopping and leave it chained up outside the supermarket. If I ever did take it inside the store, I would quite rightly expect to get chucked out. If I ever had the temerity to argue about it, I think it would be quite fair to bar me for life from the store.

Don't knock Tesco, rode around my local (Ilminster) on my lecci bike a few years ago!
I bought it following a spectacularly bad accident, not bike related! Decided to go shopping, crutches attached to back of bike, got to Tesco, then the penny dropped - how was I going to shop on crutches? Went for it, and rode the bike into the store! Manager dashes out, 'what the hell are you doing?' Explained, and pointed out mobility scooter in front of me. Very helpful, pointed out where everything was, opened a till just for me, cashier thought it was hilarious, all very helpful and friendly, couldn't the fault them - told head office so :-)

Top Bottom