Supermarkets and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to leave my bike by the tills, in the local Co-Op (now closed, taken over my B&M), with no problems
Staff kept an eye on it for me, maybe because I was always polite/asked them how they were/how was their day

It was an odd affair though, as the local kids used to push their around the aisles/ride those 'push scooters' to no comeback (maybe they knew about the closure before customers, so weren't bothered??

Likewise the local Lidl, can leave it by tills
ASDA however, won't let me leave it leaning against a bare wall inside, "H&S risk"?!?!, so I left my goods on the till & walked out
I have returned, but on foot, or in car

DRHysted

Guru
Needed to pop into one of those giant Tescos tonight, but couldn't buy anything because the security guard was "no bikes allowed". I don't get why supermarkets don't like letting in people pushing things around on wheels.
I was about to explain that I didn't want to lock up a bike costing more than 3 months of his likely wage outside my line of site, to be vandalized, or have parts nicked off it but I reminded myself he was too stupid and just f'ed off. Just got what I needed at some fuel station.

On the other hand I needed to pop into a different super Tesco some time ago for wet wipes to wash blood off my face and hands. Not only did nobody give a toss about my bike, but when I asked the staff where the wet wipes were, they give me some for free. They were asking me if I were OK and I had to explain I had a nose bleed, a common symptom of hayfever and that there was no pain involved, just mess. Maybe I'l take fake blood next time.

Your bike cost nearly 8 grand!! I’d never take that shopping.

Tizme

Veteran
I'm planning a solo unsupported LE-JOG-LE ride, camping with the occasional B&B, hopefully before I hit 65 (so I've got 4 years- not to take doing it!!). I will have a fully loaded tourer and am sure that I will need to go in to a big supermarket at some stage as I am a coeliac and getting gluten-free food can be difficult in smaller shops, they just cannot afford to stock it. I would be very reluctant to leave my fully laden bike outside no matter how many locks I could put on it, so either wheeling it around or asking the staff to keep an eye on it would be my only option. I don't really see the difference in wheeling it around compared to someone who uses the shops' mobility scooter (as opposed to someone who has to use one permanently). In our local Tesco you can't move for the staff wheeling large trollies around picking up internet shopping. Perhaps I'm wrong, but avoiding the busiest times and being careful, what's the problem?

MarkF

Guru
I used to leave my bike by the tills, in the local Co-Op (now closed, taken over my B&M), with no problems
Staff kept an eye on it for me, maybe because I was always polite/asked them how they were/how was their day

Most likely, I make sure to do the same and leave my bike leaning against the security desk at both Sainsburys and Asda. When people are rude to me at work I am inclined to respond negatively.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's all 'health and safety' these days:rolleyes:. 'You can't bring it in because someone might fall over it'. Yes but this particular one is 'zesty lime'(high viz yellowy/green) in colour and it'll be standing up,i won't be lying it down on the floor'(chav style) i tell them. Yet they don't have a problem when i put my shopping basket down while i go off to find items at the other end of the store. :rolleyes:

OP wants to take his entitled rear end and a bicycle on to private property and insists that the security guard, just doing his job is the stupid one. The simple solution is to lock the bicycle outside. If one simply can't afford insurance or payout of pocket for repairs of your bicycle (regardless, the chances of that happening must be infinitesimally small), you really shouldn't be riding something you are so precious about to the shops in the first place. I can only dream of imagining the hysteria that might set in if someone shunted your bicycle accidentally with a trolley, or knocked it with a hand basket.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
I get exactly why supermarkets don't want bikes taken inside the store - they annoy other customers who are simply trying to move around the aisles and get their shopping, not run an obstacle course.. I don't like pushchairs being used inside shops either for exactly the same reasons.

What do you expect people with babies or toddlers to do. Dump the pushchair in the foyer and carry them round so you're not inconvenienced for 10 seconds?

simongt

Guru
So I asked to see the policy. Neither he, nor the deputy store manager were able to provide anything. So I contacted Sainsburys who said they have nothing written as a policy. SO they just make the rules up as they go along.
They were probably hiding behind 'assumed' 'elf & safety rules. As a H & S rep at my place of work, it's common for folk to claim this when there's no such ruling in place.

simongt

Guru
At a recently built Aldi near us, the cycle racks are at the back of the store ( probably a space issue to be fair), whereas all the other Aldis in town they're at the front.
Result - ? All the customers chain their bikes to the railings at the front of the store: job done - ! :thumbsup: :rofl:

Top Bottom