Supermarkets and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
My local Sainsburys puts the bike stands a long way from, and out of sight of, the nearest trolley park. This means leaving your bike unattended with a week's shopping hanging from it when you go to get the quid back for the trolley.
Use a Euro, or two old five pence pieces glued together.

Rockn Robin

That floor! There was a control in a posh village hall where all the riders had to take their shoes off before they went in to stop their cleats scratching it up. It looked very Japanesey to anyone who didn’t know what the bejazzle was going on.

:laugh:!! The least they could have done was give you all little slippers. ^_^

mustang1

Legendary Member
Some time ago the stores uses to let me wheel the bike around their aisles but as cycling has become more popular, pushing it along the iasles is more frowned upon.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Normally I have a lock in my panniers, on rare occasions when I forgot, I left my bike in Tesco with the security guard (who was ok with it, but obviously declined any responsibility in case of theft), once in Aldi I just left it at the packing area (nobody said anything), in town I take a big u-lock or I'll leave the bike at the cycling hub and walk to the shops.
Never tried to wheel my bike around a shop: if I'd were to put items directly in the panniers before paying they would think I'm a shoplifter!
An Evans in Bristol has bike parking inside the shop. Nice touch.
The one in Glasgow centre has the same, you still need to push the door open though, it's a heavy one!
I’m beginning to believe that a bike thief isn’t going to put the effort into nicking a laden tourer.
Do not mention this to @Edwardoka :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
I can get two shopping trolley baskets on the back of mine. could load up as I went round, if I was allowed to take it in.
Mine.JPG

Make final packing easier & quicker.

The Conad challenge:

1. Leave bike outside in front of a pair of charity workers who acknowledge you
2. Go in, buy water
3. Walk out, no bike, charity workers saw nothing
4. Discover that the water you bought was sparkling, not still. WORST DAY EVER

Crankarm

Guru
It always puzzles me that cyclists think they are entitled or have a right to take their bicycle into an establishment such as a shop because they cannot find anywhere suitable outside to leave it. As others have said how you arrive is up to you. Not a shop's problem. Outside they can make it easier by having cycle parking facilities if they want to attract potential customer's who cycle or retain those who do, but they don't have to let bicycles inside their premises.

Rockn Robin

It always puzzles me that cyclists think they are entitled or have a right to take their bicycle into an establishment such as a shop because they cannot find anywhere suitable outside to leave it. As others have said how you arrive is up to you. Not a shop's problem. Outside they can make it easier by having cycle parking facilities if they want to attract potential customer's who cycle or retain those who do, but they don't have to let bicycles inside their premises.

I agree that’s why having a folding bike is so handy. The Brompton folds to the side of a small carry case. When out on a ride, I can stop at a cafe, fold the bike, walk in with it and place it under my table. No questions asked. This way, the bike is with me at all times, and not locked up outside for thieves.

simonali

Guru
At a recently built Aldi near us, the cycle racks are at the back of the store ( probably a space issue to be fair), whereas all the other Aldis in town they're at the front.

Blimey, how many Aldis do you have in your town? I was upset when they built one in the town where I live. Now there's going to be a Lidl opening next week, too.

simonali

Guru
They knocked down a nice old building to get a few extra spaces in the car park. Plus I just don't like them. Don't shop in either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Plus I just don't like them.
That's seems a very strange thing to say, not sure how you cannot like something as inanimate as a shop, i could understand if you worked for a competitor, or they have done something to you in the past & you boycott them
Don't shop in either.
That is your prerogative, but I'm still curious as to why.

Top Bottom