Superstar Elite 30 ultra wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Anyone who's seen my posts regarding my bike - the Ventura CP50 from Argos, will know spending lots of money on my bike I do not. The whole point of me buying the bike was that it was a cheap carbon roadie and I'm a sucker for a bargain, a bike that not many others own, something that just might actually be better than where it's from might suggest.
I believe you can spend what you like on bike kit, bikes etc, it's up to you, but for me, at the moment it has to be "most bang for buck" (ok I'm a tight wad).
The Ventura cost me £400 in the sale and I quite fancied changing the Shimano R501 wheelset it came with since I've started time trialing on it (see the racing section) for something a bit more "racey". Obviously spending £500 on a wheelset would be daft in my opinion, so I went for the Superstar Elite 30 ultra from Superstar components. With a list price of £194.99 and 20% off in April bringing this down to £156, making them much more a sensible up grade.
I went for the red rims and red hubs version, they come as a 20 spoke front 24 rear spoke count, don't include QR's, but Superstar offer 2 year warranty, crash replacement discount scheme and a lifetime free truing service.
They come with a claimed weight of 1510g (front 660g rear 850g) without QR's. And they have a 30mm "aero" rim.
Because you tend to ride with tyres, tubes and cassettes fitted, I've weighed them with those fitted.
Shimano R501 front + vittoria zaffiro 23 + unknown tube + basic Shimano QR = 1406g
Rear + vittoria Rubino 23 + unknown tube + basic Shimano QR + Shimano 9 sp 11-25 HG50 cassette = 1845g

Superstar Elite 30 front + Schwalbe Ultremo zx 23 + Planet X super light tube + basic Shimano QR = 1058g
Rear + As above + Ultegra 6500 9 sp 11-23 cassette = 1410g

Net weight saving 783g, obviously the tyres, cassette and tubes have helped here too.
Total price for the wheels, tyres, tubes and cassette £230
Haven't used them in anger yet but they look good, run straight and true and didn't cost more than I paid for my bike!
Will post more impressions when I've used them a bit, and post some more pics.
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/elite-30-ultra-11speed-wheelset-2024.htm
image.jpg

Last edited:
Stop weighing stuff. This is not a prem baby in an incubator. It is a bike. Go ride and show us photos of the great places you visited.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Aaaah, so you're the "special one". I don't do smileys but please, mentally add one of those winky ones to the end of the previous sentence.
And.......perhaps I'm not, we will see ^_^:tongue:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
They are 50mm generic Chinese carbon rims with alloy brake tracks built onto Novatec hubs. Surprisingly stable in crosswinds which worried me a bit when I first got them. They are quite a wide u shape profile which some say helps.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
They are 50mm generic Chinese carbon rims with alloy brake tracks built onto Novatec hubs. Surprisingly stable in crosswinds which worried me a bit when I first got them. They are quite a wide u shape profile which some say helps.
Giant seem to be going for the wider shape on their carbon wheels this year . Just something I have noticed in my LBS and not a technical comment .

MissyR

I was showing my partner these wheels last night after finding a link you posted on another thread. Do you have a video of the hub noise please as I am very keen to know more about them? They look very nice indeed :okay:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hi, no I haven't actually fitted them properly yet. I wanted to complete all 4 different TT courses that my local club run on my R501's and then fit them for a bit of an unscientific test to see whether I get any time gains when I do them all again (hoping for big improvements, but conditions such as wind might scupper that).The 4th course was last night so I'm going to get them on this weekend as I've got a new chain going on aswell. I'll try and get a vid posted when I do. From what I've done already the free hub seems very quiet compared to some of the more noisy ones around.
And yes they do look lovely jubbly! :tongue:

Top Bottom