Surley someone on hear can beat this????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Its a 15 mile commute.Whilst not average, its hardly a long commute...so why all the press attention?

It's CyclingWeekly aka The Comic :laugh:.

Anyway it looks like it was a cut and paste job from the esteemed Edinburgh Reporter by Chris Marshal-Bellend of CW who is obviously so crap at journalism he shouldn't be allowed to hold a pen let alone let near a keyboard. You would have thought he would have had the brain power to realise this guy's efforts are really not that impressive, pretty pedestrian really, that the figures just don't add up. Fail.

They have to try and boost sales or website hits some how so copying and pasting totally inaccurate stories is one way. Or maybe this guy is quite exceptional for those that cycle in Scotland if this article is anything to go by. LMAO.

Last edited:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
giggled hard there reading article :biggrin: started 3 months ago doing 30 miles 3 days a week when i have off and then having a leg workout 4 days a week 12hours each day :smile:

Simontm

Veteran
Hmm, I do 26/30 miles a day, four days a week - was five until three weeks ago. So that's around 120 miles excluding weekends, cycling to shops etc. already done over a thousand miles on the bike but times by 48 (4 weeks holiday leave)? Shouldn't take too long until I'm worthy of my neighbour mag's news coverage. I'll go upstairs and take the mick on Monday :laugh:

Hi guys, Mike Batley here. Picked this thread up by chance. The story started as a work publicity thing and was never meant to suggest I was anything other than a keen commuter. But, since there's been a fair amount of slagging off, I would just like to point out I have done this whilst having had two hip replacement operations, and recovered from a broken elbow and broken pelvis. So a bit of sympathy please!

May the wind ever be at your backs :smile:

GlenBen

Über Member
Mines quite a comfortable 14miles to work and 19 home. I know people who do more. Not really an impressive story.

I work with a bloke whos 63 and does a 33 mile round trip everyday in all weathers.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Hi guys, Mike Batley here. Picked this thread up by chance. The story started as a work publicity thing and was never meant to suggest I was anything other than a keen commuter. But, since there's been a fair amount of slagging off, I would just like to point out I have done this whilst having had two hip replacement operations, and recovered from a broken elbow and broken pelvis. So a bit of sympathy please!

Fair play to you and I think everyone here really would give you respect for your riding. It’s a substantial commute to take on and do for so long, especially with those complications so all credit to you.

I think it’s just the sensationalist way the story was written that people are taking issue with- when it could have been written so much better if it had actually focused more on your thoughts about cycling and whatnot, rather than the journalist trying to push his/her claim.

Hope you stick around to join in on the cyclechat forum!
:welcome:

Stinboy

Über Member
I could be in a minority here but I think that this thread sums up cycle chat quite well at the moment.

A lot of jumping to conclusions, willy waving (I do this, such and such does that) and general negative comments.

Irrespective of his sustained injuries, he has done this over 15 years. This is not a flash in the pan effort. Well done him :smile:

iandg

Legendary Member

Aye but 'Cycling Weekly' got hold of it!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

It's an impressive achievement in my book and good on you for soldiering on ! Hope I can keep it up until I am 63 or older !

Big deal. My uncle is nearly 72 and he commutes 23 miles to and from work, even tho he should be retired. He is a lumberjack and hes OK. Even after coming home he then proceeds to do weight training 3 evenings a week. Twice a year he will go abroad to take part in bull fighting and bear knuckle bear wrestling while standing on one leg. Not bad considering he is blind.:tongue:

There is a habit is to pick up stories from local press, and then regurgitating them

Lazy journalism

Go back to the original context and for the average reader of the local press this is a positive article about cycling and may just encourage a couple of commuters

Top Bottom