Surly Big Fat Dummy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I really like Surly's attitude as well. Here's a product video for the BFD. Who else has a massive cargo bike on the back of the sofa with a bloke eating crisps in their promotional material?

Cool vid I think that maybe pushing it a bit with Mrs 73. We already have 2 bikes in the house. One hanging on the back of the sofa won’t go down well. ;)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
How's this? Logs on the front, kids on the back. It's got every mounting point imaginable to add extra stuff.
View attachment 438654

LBS lent me a Pugsley so I've been riding that with the three year old in a child seat. It handles like a tank but it's OK once you get used to it.

Yeah, you do need the tiniest of tiny chainrings.

That's what you call a top ride. Well smart mate.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Where are you? And what size do you normally ride?

I have a Surly Big Dummy which I have done almost everything on. I have put loads of photos up on here in the past. I have 2.3” Schwalbe Big Apples. I think it looks great in the new Phat mode, but my what a draggy beast that would be. We hit 52kph EVERY morning on the school run without fail.

dan_bo

I have a Surly Big Dummy which I have done almost everything on. I have put loads of photos up on here in the past. I have 2.3” Schwalbe Big Apples. I think it looks great in the new Phat mode, but my what a draggy beast that would be. We hit 52kph EVERY morning on the school run without fail.
Me?

Northeast Manchester.

tom73

Guru
So just how do we pitch this to our personal bank managers ? It is after all not your normal n+1 it’s going to need some big time brownie pts.

dan_bo

So just how do we pitch this to our personal bank managers ? It is after all not your normal n+1 it’s going to need some big time brownie pts.
Just bang it outside instead of the mondeo/passat/accord/s4 pile of shoot that you've replaced with it's defenderesque coolness. Make sure you u-lock it to the nearest grid though.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern

I'm in Sheffield so some distance away unfortunately.

tom73

Guru
Just bang it outside instead of the mondeo/passat/accord/s4 pile of shoot that you've replaced with it's defenderesque coolness. Make sure you u-lock it to the nearest grid though.

Well we are going down to one car soon. My car and Mrs 73 will be using it most days so using it as replacement for me may work. If pitched carefully :B)

dan_bo

Well we are going down to one car soon. My car and Mrs 73 will be using it most days so using it as replacement for me may work. If pitched carefully :B)
Just think. You could ride down to Sainsburys/asda/whatever with your missus on the back then ride back the aame but with your shopping up front as well. How fkin cool would that be.

tom73

Guru
Just think. You could ride down to Sainsburys/asda/whatever with your missus on the back then ride back the aame but with your shopping up front as well. How fkin cool would that be.

Cool as mate and factor in may even have room for the hound too and that’s somthing I can work with. ;)

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm sure there must be a point to the Firth of Forth bridge with big wheels but I can't fathom it.
I know, I know, the sensible thing to do would be to get something like an ECR which would take the child seat and some hefty luggage on nice 3" tyres.

surly_ECR_rigid-13.jpg

Still a very nice bike and may well be what I end up getting.

Top Bottom