Surly Big Fat Dummy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just think. You could ride down to Sainsburys/asda/whatever with your missus on the back then ride back the aame but with your shopping up front as well. How fkin cool would that be.

Do it all the time (except missus rides her own bike: equal opportunities for both genders, et c) and it is cool...

I'm sure there must be a point to the Firth of Forth bridge with big wheels but I can't fathom it.

I'm not sure about the 'big wheels' bit myself, but as a commuter/shopper/kid carrier/tourer/car substitute the Xtracycle design is brilliant...

hh_18.jpg

We used ours so much we eventually got a Bakfiets for the more heavy/bulky stuff, and very small person (because you can't lash a Maxi Cosi down onto an Xtracycle):

baby_bak_02.jpg

But the Bak still didn't replace the Xtracycle for many things like emergency rushing sprogs to school when they missed the bus or touring, because it is simply so comfortable and pretty much as fast as a normal bike (or at least as fast as I ride a normal bike which may not be the same thing...)

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
@Heltor Chasca That's an impressive amount of load lugging.

@Andy in Germany You mention Xtracycle. The regular big dummy is built to the same standards so all the accessories fit, but because the fat version has a wider deck to cope with the massive tyres, a lot of the Xtracycle stuff isn't compatible. Might be something for me to bear in mind.

We stock them in the shop and have one at the mo.

Absolutely hilarious to ride and the manager has used it to carry under-floor heating home;we all wan't one but can't really decide why.

Saw a programme a while ago about a group of mtb'ers who built a cabin/clubhouse in the rockies(I think) using no cars/motorised transport and hand tools;lot's of Surlys were used including BFM's.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
We stock them in the shop and have one at the mo.

Absolutely hilarious to ride and the manager has used it to carry under-floor heating home;we all wan't one but can't really decide why.

Saw a programme a while ago about a group of mtb'ers who built a cabin/clubhouse in the rockies(I think) using no cars/motorised transport and hand tools;lot's of Surlys were used including BFM's.
I think my LBS are more excited about the prospect than I am. Last time I was in, I was chatting to Mike about plus vs fat tyres, different frame options, child seat mounts etc, while Henry just bellowed 'Big Fat Dummy!' at me from the workshop. He really wants me to get one so he can have fun building it up.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not sue why but one thing just occurred to me: Big Fat tyres are not going to be easy to fit mudguards for and will throw up a lot of crud.

This isn't an automatic problem for everyone, but worth being aware of it...
I think you can get some sort of short fat mudguard or crud catcher type thing. I'm also not sure you can ride the BFD fast enough for it to throw up too much crap.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm sure there must be a point to the Firth of Forth bridge with big wheels but I can't fathom it.

Just looks like a gimmick built for the sake of building it. As far as I'm concerned anything with tyres that wide might as well have a 1 litre petrol engine shoved into the frame and be done with it. Then it would be a lot of fun! Can't see the attraction of riding a human-powered tank at all. The whole point of push bikes is they should be simple minimalist personal transport. Those things just look like cumbersome beasts that are slow, heavy and awkward to park and store. Might as well just use a van if you want to lug loads of crap from A to B and save the bike riding for journeys that are actually enjoyable. Where's the fun in being a human pack animal hauling a load of tools & stuff about? That's what internal combustion engines are for!

Top Bottom