Surly Long Haul Disk Trucker ebike conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all it’s been sometime since I’ve posted in the forum. Had a year of bad health usual stuff lost weight and muscle wastage. Ive decided get myself back into cycling to help I’ve converted my Surly LHT Using a bafang 250w mid drive motor connected to a 17 amp hr battery. Had my first ride out today completed 29 miles with over 75 % of the battery left. I found it useful on the hills to take the sting out, I used it sparingly on the flat. The gearing is now not so good only having one front 44 t chain ring. If fb I’m loaded up for touring it could be tough on hills should the battery be flat. I was thinking of converting to Rohlof rear hub although there very expensive. I was wondering if buying a bike off eBay with Rohloff already installed taking it off then fitting to my bike. Get the donor bike set up with a derailleur and reselling. To get some money back. If you got this far thanks for reading any thoughts on the Rohloff much appreciated.
AA097049-DC55-4B01-BD32-F278B36E70B3.jpeg
64ACE68B-35D2-4E70-8CE5-9EAD7765EEE0.jpeg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A Rohloff would add weight because you are not losing two rings of a triple up front to compensate.

There is no hub gear that comes close to the range of a Rohloff, so with careful selection of rings, it ought to give the range you seek.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Move to an 11 speed rear cassette with an 11-50 tooth range, new derailleur and shifters maybe required too but much cheaper than a Rohloff in the short term?

Forbes500

Hi there, I love your Disc Trucker conversion!

I have a Disc Trucker too, and am about to embark on a e-bike conversion. May I please pick your brains a bit!? I have the standard cassette that came with the bike, and am wondering what front chainring you'd suggest I go with on the basis I'm getting a 750w Bafang mid motor?

This is the kit I'm planning to buy in case you're interested...

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S495H29/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1&psc=1

Any other thoughts and info and learnings from your project would be greatly appreciated!

Keep trucking!

Rob in Dublin

CXRAndy

Guru

I have a Disc Trucker too, and am about to embark on a e-bike conversion. May I please pick your brains a bit!? I have the standard cassette that came with the bike, and am wondering what front chainring you'd suggest I go with on the basis I'm getting a 750w Bafang mid motor?

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S495H29/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1&psc=1

Any other thoughts and info and learnings from your project would be greatly appreciated!

Keep trucking!

Rob in Dublin

Depends on the roads and hills you are going to ride on. Nothing too steep and long, standard chainring will be ok.

What are the cassette ratios?

Number3nw

Keep trucking!

Rob in Dublin

Hey Rob in Dublin,

How did it go with the Disc Trucker Ebike conversion? I want to do the same thing with mine. I would love to hear how it went for you!

Thanks,

Top Bottom