1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surly Straggler

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by confusedcyclist, 28 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

That frame is really nice, I hope you enjoy riding the bike.

confusedcyclist likes this.
  2. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry non-contributing ex-member

Let me know how you get on. I got told by three different dealers that these bolts don't ship with the frame and have to be sourced seperately.

I bought these https://www.bike24.com/p2166386.html, and then one of the dealers gave me some campag ones they had kicking about.

3. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

@gregry, what a PITA!

The guy at the shop swore there weren't any in the box too, adamant he hadn't accidently left them out before handing over. You'd think that Surly would make it obvious from the outset that they don't supply them as standard... bit daft considering they go to such lengths to ensure every eyelet bolt has a washer... I'll keep you posted.

If you don't mind my asking, any idea what size bolt they are? M2s or M3s? What function does the spring serve? I'm thinking I can source the bolt and knurled nut on ebay for a few pence, but the spring... tricky to find.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2017
  4. Bodhbh

Bodhbh Veteran

Have you tried the axle mount adaptor? I run Tubus Logos like this on a couple of bikes with discs.

5. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

Haven't got that far, thanks for the suggestion!

6. GrumpyGregry

They certainly weren't in my box. And Surly don't sell them as an accessory.

I have always assumed the spring is to prevent the bolt from unwinding itself but don't actually have a clue. Don't recall what size they are and besides I always get my screw size and my allen key size confused.

7. Honestly, I don't think Gary Glitter has ruined the word "glitter" any more than he has soiled the name "Gary"

[​IMG]

Beautiful frame, @confusedcyclist :wub:

8. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

Thanks anyway, googling random internet discussions on the subject seems to be suggesting M3s, just need to measure up for length before I put the order in. I'm pretty sure I have a few M3s in the bottom of my tool kit, unlikely to be long enough though, at least I can try the thread out for size. I'll just use a bit of threadlock instead of a spring. Given that the spring goes between the bolt and the frame, not the axel and the frame, I would assume it's to stop it winding in, not out. Fingers crossed for threadlock then :biggrin:

9. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

@GrumpyGregry Good news, Surly are sending out two bolts, turns out they should have been included with the frameset! If they are coming from the US, I'll not be riding until the new year though! :sad:

Last edited: 18 Dec 2017
  10. GrumpyGregry

Lols, polar opposite of what the told me by email....

but a great result.

11. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

I am reasonably confident that you could build it up, and ride it, without them. It may be better long term to have them but you could live without for a bit.

12. Thorn Sherpa

Thorn Sherpa Well-Known Member

Cracking looking bike you have there many happy miles of riding I reckon for you :bicycle:

13. OP
    OP
    confusedcyclist

@Adrian I think you're right, it shouldn't hinder the buildup at the very least.

@Thorn Sherpa, yep, I hope it's going to be a head turner when completed. Oddly, Surly are over-represented at my work's bike stand as we have a few experienced tourers who favor the LHT and also the couple of Americans who shipped over their pride and joys, it shall hopefully be the envy of the office. :wub:

In case anyone's interested, this is what my LHT looked like when new:
    19055021_10158689479075184_5710324619224838034_o.jpg

My new tubeless-ready rims have arrived just now, the wheel build will be my next job once I've decided on the hubs and got the measurements and spoke lengths calculated.

IMG_20171219_211227488.jpg

Thorn Sherpa likes this.
  14. Sillyoldman

Sillyoldman Über Member

Lovely looking bike.

As Adrian suggests you should be fine without those bolts.

I have had a cross check for years and never had those M3 bolts fitted. I marked the frame with a permanent marker pen to make sure the wheel is set in the same place when I remove it for maintenance, and it’s nice to think of the weight saving on such a svelte frame^_^

Hope you and your bike have lots of happy miles

15. fossala

fossala Über Member

If you are looking at flogging your DT frameset I could be interested.