Surly Straggler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm also going to need to find a new rear rack compatible with the disc brake calliper location, looking like the Tubus Logo isn't going to play nice, I may be commuting with a backpack for a little while again :sad:

Have you tried the axle mount adaptor? I run Tubus Logos like this on a couple of bikes with discs.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Have you tried the axle mount adaptor? I run Tubus Logos like this on a couple of bikes with discs.
Haven't got that far, thanks for the suggestion!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
@gregry, what a PITA!

The guy at the shop swore there weren't any in the box too, adamant he hadn't accidently left them out before handing over. You'd think that Surly would make it obvious from the outset that they don't supply them as standard... bit daft considering they go to such lengths to ensure every eyelet bolt has a washer... I'll keep you posted.

If you don't mind my asking, any idea what size bolt they are? M2s or M3s? What function does the spring serve? I'm thinking I can source the bolt and knurled nut on ebay for a few pence, but the spring... tricky to find.
They certainly weren't in my box. And Surly don't sell them as an accessory.

I have always assumed the spring is to prevent the bolt from unwinding itself but don't actually have a clue. Don't recall what size they are and besides I always get my screw size and my allen key size confused.

I would have thought the ‘Glitter Dreams’ colour finish wouldn’t prove too popular but maybe they haven’t heard of Gary’s escapades over there.
Honestly, I don't think Gary Glitter has ruined the word "glitter" any more than he has soiled the name "Gary"

giphy.webp

Beautiful frame, @confusedcyclist :wub:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
They certainly weren't in my box. And Surly don't sell them as an accessory.

I have always assumed the spring is to prevent the bolt from unwinding itself but don't actually have a clue. Don't recall what size they are and besides I always get my screw size and my allen key size confused.

Thanks anyway, googling random internet discussions on the subject seems to be suggesting M3s, just need to measure up for length before I put the order in. I'm pretty sure I have a few M3s in the bottom of my tool kit, unlikely to be long enough though, at least I can try the thread out for size. I'll just use a bit of threadlock instead of a spring. Given that the spring goes between the bolt and the frame, not the axel and the frame, I would assume it's to stop it winding in, not out. Fingers crossed for threadlock then :biggrin:

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@GrumpyGregry Good news, Surly are sending out two bolts, turns out they should have been included with the frameset! If they are coming from the US, I'll not be riding until the new year though! :sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@User I think you're right, it shouldn't hinder the buildup at the very least.

@Thorn Sherpa, yep, I hope it's going to be a head turner when completed. Oddly, Surly are over-represented at my work's bike stand as we have a few experienced tourers who favor the LHT and also the couple of Americans who shipped over their pride and joys, it shall hopefully be the envy of the office. :wub:

In case anyone's interested, this is what my LHT looked like when new:
19055021_10158689479075184_5710324619224838034_o.jpg

My new tubeless-ready rims have arrived just now, the wheel build will be my next job once I've decided on the hubs and got the measurements and spoke lengths calculated.

IMG_20171219_211227488.jpg

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Lovely looking bike.

As Adrian suggests you should be fine without those bolts.

I have had a cross check for years and never had those M3 bolts fitted. I marked the frame with a permanent marker pen to make sure the wheel is set in the same place when I remove it for maintenance, and it’s nice to think of the weight saving on such a svelte frame^_^

Hope you and your bike have lots of happy miles

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg
I have a Cross Check , there have been a few disappointments with it , some down to shop I bought it off , and I couldn't get on with the bar end shifters so I put a flat bar and MTB shifters , much better now , it is a comfy ride and according to Surley it should be capable to load it up to 170 Kgs , inc me , so hopefully get some touring in !

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@fossala, once I've cleaned it up, I'll possibly stick it on the bay and on our classified forum here. It will likely be collection only and I'm a long ways from you in West Yorkshire!

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
26756877_10159715066340184_7762556164968379260_o.jpg

26238991_10159715098305184_6017664038433316263_n.jpg

26733767_10159715097595184_1356492944701264684_n.jpg

Here she is. Her new wheels are not yet ready, I ended up ordering a dynamo hub from South Korea by accident (didn't realise it was international company!) so I'll have to wait a bit longer for delivery.

I've since fitted a Tubus Logo rack, and am waiting for an ebay merchant to deliver some p-clips for rear mudguards to mount to the rack, the braze on's positions make it impossible to mount the mudguard stays with the rack on, the stays were not long enough. Bit of a faff, but I think it will still look ok. Looking at other Surly Stragglers online , you don't often see both a rack and mudguards fitted to this frame without creative adaptations. I needed the Tubus Logo foot extension kit, plus spacers to prevent the disc caliper from rubbing and being restricted by the rack mounting arm.

The saddle bag will be coming off, and I'll be fitting my dynamo lights front and rear, these clip on's were just for a test night ride. For the eagle eyed, yes that's electrical tape wrapped around the headtube. I need to get some helicopter tape to protect the frame from cable abrasion, I learnt the hard way with my last surly frame that cables don't play nice with the pain jobs. Anyone know any better solutions?

First impressions of the ride: MUCH more comfortable. The DT by comparison looks slammed. :rolleyes: Can't wait to get back to the regular commute, I've been going nuts in the car. :banghead:

Attachments

• 26756877_10159715066340184_7762556164968379260_o.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 26756877_10159715066340184_7762556164968379260_o.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Top Bottom