Surly Straggler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The brilliance will sparkle so much you will lose your grip and fall to your death, if the paint doesn't get you first.

ozboz

Guru
Where the Bizarre attitude that bar end shifters are dangerous comes from I have no idea

I agree , although I have changed my bars and gear changing set up on my CC as per photo earlier in thread , I never had any near misses accident wise due to the bar end'ers,

ozboz

Guru
Where the Bizarre attitude that bar end shifters are dangerous comes from I have no idea

I agree , although I have changed my bars and gear changing set up on my CC as per photo earlier in thread , I never had any near misses accident wise due to the bar end'ers

Crankarm

Guru
Yadadadada

Funny how so recently you suggested the bike above for under a grand.
Have a close look at the shifters.
Nobber, Q.E.D..

No need to be offensive and obnoxious. Yes I did recommend this bike because it was a very good sale price being last year's model. I would remove the bar end shifters and fit STI levers or more likely a flat handle bar or touring loop bars with rapid fire shifters which means you have steering, brakes and gear change all together unlike bar end shifters. Infact Rohloff IHG would be even better. I do not find that riding a bike with bar end gear shifters on drop handle bars is a safe experience and will always prefer Shimano STI or MTB rapid fire shifters or Rohloff twist grip instead which give far better control. Bar end shifters on the ends of drop handle bars are so last century. Technology has moved on.

Crankarm

Guru
Your opinion is not objective.

My only agenda is to ensure that folks who come in here seeking information don't go away with the impression that perfectly safe, perfectly serviceable, equipment used by millions of cyclists around the world, some of whom do some pretty extreme off-tarmac riding with drop bars and bar end shifters, is "frankly dangerous".

As to how to change gear without taking your hands off the bars? I can't explain it, I just do it. Comes completely naturally.

You mean you remove one hand from the handlebar to change the shifter? And if you need to change both shifters for front as well as rear derailleurs, both hands? :rolleyes:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You mean you remove one hand from the handlebar to change the shifter? And if you need to change both shifters for front as well as rear derailleurs, both hands? :rolleyes:
Noe. Firstly because on drop bars I tend to do one then the other, that's just how I roll, I just don't remember getting surprised in such a way that dual shifting is needed, and second because changing gears with bar end shifters does not require me to remove either hand from the handlebar. If you are taking a hand off, and shifting with finger tips from a dangling arm, you are doing it wrong. You don't shift with bar ends like you would with downtube shifters.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Comment + smiley face. FFS!

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Here she is with her new tubeless wheelset and front rack

ng2o4qscy9p01.jpg

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
@User46386, aside from aesthetic reasons, I'm planning to add a simple front porteur bag. I usually carry a single pannier with my lunch and a fresh shirt for work so the relatively heavy rear Tubus Logo I had on it before was really overkill for my daily hauling needs. A simple front bag will be sufficient for my carry.

I still have the rear rack and will add it for longer touring rides.

Last edited:
Top Bottom