Surly Straggler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Bar end shifters are so last century and frankly dangerous. I have never ever understood the fascination with them. Downtube shifters were bad enough which were thankfully consigned to the design waste bin when STI levers and rapid fire handle bar shifters came in. You need all the bike controls together - brakes, gear shift and steering. It is so much safer.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
There's some warped logic here, but I admit bar ends require slightly more skill with balance and anticipating the road ahead. I briefly considered fitting a Tiagra STI groupset to this build, but in the end I calculated it would cost me upward of £400 for the upgrade as I would have to swap 2x BB7 MTB callipers to the road type as the pull differs, these are expensive. I stuck with the bar ends, 1. because they didn't cost me a penny more, 2. they can be set to friction, so no derailleur gaffs, or poor shifting, 3. maintenance is a breeze, and they cost a fraction of the low end STI levers when they eventually wear out.

As for dangerous, in practice you won't often find yourself changing gears and braking at the same time, if you are, it's either because you are not observing and planning ahead accordingly, or something unexpected happened. If a car is driven erratically in your presence, you could argue that an emergency stop with STIs don't make you any less likely to be in the wrong gear. In any case, you'll only ever have the palm of your hand, or a finger or two on the levers, and the other hand over the opposite brake whilst the shifting hand steadies the bars, shifting need not take up all your hand. I have never considered them dangerous, and for the sake of simplicity, they are still worth considering. In a year of riding on the harried roads of Bradford (surly the worst in the uk!) haven't yet lost control due to the style of shiting. If anything, I might argue STI levers encourage a degree of reckless abandon as the rider relies less on anticipating the road ahead, the choice between all shifting options, downtube included simply comes down to preference, not safety.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bar end shifters are so last century and frankly dangerous. I have never ever understood the fascination with them. Downtube shifters were bad enough which were thankfully consigned to the design waste bin when STI levers and rapid fire handle bar shifters came in. You need all the bike controls together - brakes, gear shift and steering. It is so much safer.

Bar-end shifters aren't dangerous, you've not a shred of evidence to support that statement.

ozboz

Guru
Each to their own , I am enjoying riding my CC much more now I've changed bars and shifters , I feel I have much more control especially in off road conditions ,

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Do you happen to have a bike with bar end shifters? I have ridden a couple in the last month. This is an experience I care not to repeat.
So you've tried to ride a couple of drop bar bikes with bar end shifters recently, not got on with them, and as a result you consider they are "frankly dangerous".

So if I came from a flat bar bike background and rode a couple of drop bar bikes with brifters for a bit, didn't get on with them, would it be reasonable to come on here and say that brifters are frankly dangerous?

Of course not.

I have flat bars with gripshift, flat bar bikes with trigger shifters, drop bar bikes with brifters from Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo, drop bar bikes with bar end shifters. Drop bar and flat bar bikes with no shifters at all. All shifters have pro's and con's. All of them. None of them are dangerous once the rider has adapted to them.

Crankarm

Guru
So you've tried to ride a couple of drop bar bikes with bar end shifters recently, not got on with them, and as a result you consider they are "frankly dangerous".

So if I came from a flat bar bike background and rode a couple of drop bar bikes with brifters for a bit, didn't get on with them, would it be reasonable to come on here and say that brifters are frankly dangerous?

Of course not.

I have flat bars with gripshift, flat bar bikes with trigger shifters, drop bar bikes with brifters from Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo, drop bar bikes with bar end shifters. Drop bar and flat bar bikes with no shifters at all. All shifters have pro's and con's. All of them. None of them are dangerous once the rider has adapted to them.

You've clearly got your own opinion and agenda as you own bikes with this set up and are resistant to accepting an objective opinion of some one with a different view. 'Am I going to lose sleep over it? Not in the slightest. You carry one riding your drop handle bar end shifter bikes and I shall not. But please do me the courtesy of explaining one thing. How do you change gear with this set up WITHOUT taking one hand off the bars? Could this set up indeed be hazardous/dangerous riding on uneven surfaces where you needed both hands to steer and control your bike especially around hazards or even perform an emergency stop? How can you perform an effective emergency stop with just one brake typically the rear if your other right hand is off the bars fiddling with the right hand gear shifter which is nowhere near the front brake? If it is raining you would not likely be able to stop at all if your bike has rim brakes as well, cashing into whatever you should be trying to avoid. Explain this. Very hazardous wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
typically the rear if your other right hand is off the bars fiddling with the right hand gear shifter which is nowhere near the front brake? If it is raining you would not likely be able to stop at all if your bike has rim brakes as well, cashing into whatever you should be trying to avoid. Explain this. Very hazardous wouldn't you agree?
This is all just rubbish. I’ve been running touring and racing bikes with bar ends all my adult life, and have yet to crash because I can’t brake or change gear. I run a road bike with sti set up, so I can compare.
Why are you so angry? Just relax and let other people get on with their bike. Don’t wade in telling us what you know from your very limited experience.
This chap is posting about his bike, and all the attention he’s paid to getting it right for him. Respect that.
Bar ends are reliable, low tech, fixable in the field and easy to fit and pay for. I’ve trashed three sets of Shimano STIs in fifteen years because they’re impossible to repair unless you are a very handy engineer with a lot of time and patience.
Bar ends need brains and concentration to get just right. The rider has to work harder to see up ahead, and set up the gear a little earlier. Rear mech shifting is entirely possible with the back of the palm / heel of the hand while holding the drop. With, say, Dia Compe short reach levers for braking, and shallow drops, there’s very little distance required to move hand from shift to brake.
But then I’ve got massively strong arms from drystone walling. Bar ends aren’t for pen pushers and desk jockeys.

Crankarm

Guru
This is all just rubbish. I’ve been running touring and racing bikes with bar ends all my adult life, and have yet to crash because I can’t brake or change gear. I run a road bike with sti set up, so I can compare.
Why are you so angry? Just relax and let other people get on with their bike. Don’t wade in telling us what you know from your very limited experience.
This chap is posting about his bike, and all the attention he’s paid to getting it right for him. Respect that.
Bar ends are reliable, low tech, fixable in the field and easy to fit and pay for. I’ve trashed three sets of Shimano STIs in fifteen years because they’re impossible to repair unless you are a very handy engineer with a lot of time and patience.
Bar ends need brains and concentration to get just right. The rider has to work harder to see up ahead, and set up the gear a little earlier. Rear mech shifting is entirely possible with the back of the palm / heel of the hand while holding the drop. With, say, Dia Compe short reach levers for braking, and shallow drops, there’s very little distance required to move hand from shift to brake.
But then I’ve got massively strong arms from drystone walling. Bar ends aren’t for pen pushers and desk jockeys.

Yadadadada .............. judging by your post you probably opposed or would oppose the mandatory wearing of car seat belts, the breathalyser, the driving test both for cars and motorbikes, motorcyclists wearing helmets, ban on smoking ..............

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You've clearly got your own opinion and agenda as you own bikes with this set up and are resistant to accepting an objective opinion of some one with a different view. 'Am I going to lose sleep over it? Not in the slightest. You carry one riding your drop handle bar end shifter bikes and I shall not. But please do me the courtesy of explaining one thing. How do you change gear with this set up WITHOUT taking one hand off the bars? Could this set up indeed be hazardous/dangerous riding on uneven surfaces where you needed both hands to steer and control your bike especially around hazards or even perform an emergency stop? How can you perform an effective emergency stop with just one brake typically the rear if your other right hand is off the bars fiddling with the right hand gear shifter which is nowhere near the front brake? If it is raining you would not likely be able to stop at all if your bike has rim brakes as well, cashing into whatever you should be trying to avoid. Explain this. Very hazardous wouldn't you agree?
Your opinion is not objective.

My only agenda is to ensure that folks who come in here seeking information don't go away with the impression that perfectly safe, perfectly serviceable, equipment used by millions of cyclists around the world, some of whom do some pretty extreme off-tarmac riding with drop bars and bar end shifters, is "frankly dangerous".

As to how to change gear without taking your hands off the bars? I can't explain it, I just do it. Comes completely naturally.

Last edited:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Yadadadada

The extremely popular Surly LHT disc. The preferred choice for long distance touring cyclists. A little over budget but worth it. Buy cheap buy twice. Bonus hand built wheels by Spa so they will last a long long time and be strong and true.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3033/SURLY-Disc-Trucker

You have to get a disc brake bike bike as rim brakes are so old technology and grind down your bike's wheel rims so eventually the wheels typically rear is worn out and knackered meaning they split meaning new wheel time, new wheel build. Probably end of trip. Get a bike with disc brakes. No more worn out rims. Also far better braking performance in both dry and wet conditions so you stop much better which can be important when your bike is fully loaded and heavy going down a steep hill or mountain.

Funny how so recently you suggested the bike above for under a grand.
Have a close look at the shifters.
Nobber, Q.E.D..

Nibor

Bewildered
I really like bar end shifters the indexing is more precise and the shifts crisper. The ability to trim the front deraileur especially in a triple is brilliant.

Top Bottom