Surviving the cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
cyclebum said:
Hi Frog, The buff has been mentioned on a previous thread I had on the subject. I went to get one but they only had the winter thermal ones which look too thick to go under my helmet.

It's surprising what you can get under the helmet as long as you slacken off the strap a bit.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
It's surprising what you can get under the helmet as long as you slacken off the strap a bit.

My favourite, seen last week, was a padded anorak hood. The helmet was perched on top like a little comedy hat...

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

2 buffs now on order, a nice fire blue original (should match my hemet nicely:biggrin:) and a UV long way down one- this is a charity Unicef one though I'm not too sure about the yucky green colour.:blush:

Think I'll try and get to Stockport now.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I find that if you overdress you inevitably sweat and get cold through windchill. If you wear less the sweat evaporates - IMHO wicking-ness is over-rated during hard excercise. I recommend wearing slightly less rather than too much.

rich p said:
I find that if you overdress you inevitably sweat and get cold through windchill. If you wear less the sweat evaporates - IMHO wicking-ness is over-rated during hard excercise. I recommend wearing slightly less rather than too much.

Fair comment - the Horseshoe Pass in winter involves sweating on the ascent and windchill on the descent. However, I'm a fan of simply unzipping at the front once I start to sweat.

Christopher

Über Member
are you eating enough before going out, cyclebum? Something hot and nourishing, like porridge? Personally I usually have a fatty fry-up before a long ride, but am good at burning the fat off.
Stopping off at a caff during a cold ride is good too, if you can manage it. For example, the Wizard above Alderly Edge is a particulary good caff....

bonj2

Fwiw, I wear bib longs, and a thin polyester t-shirt and a thick fleecy jumper. And big thick thinsulate gloves, and from now on, thermal baselayer socks and skiing socks. I also sometimes wear a fleece round my brain.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

well I managed to find Decathlon Stockport (eventually!!) but I now have a new long sleeved jersey and 3/4 leggins along with some gloves and thermal socks. along with the other bits and peices that tempted me that was £78! (I've told hubby i've bought just not how much yet:smile:)
The trouble was although a really good selection for you guys, it was very limited for us ladies. Got a couple of great knickers that Bridget Jones would be proud of though :blush::blush:
All I need now is the chance to try it all out. Thanks for all the advice here, I'll moniter my progress and see what I need to add.:tongue:

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Forgot to tell you, as I was heading out to Stockport late this afternoon, I overtook a roadie (I was in the car unfortunatley te he :biggrin:) and he was wearing a shower jacket with something under I presume, and shorts :tongue: he also had no helmet though he had the sense to wear gloves. I checked the temp on the car and it was 5 deg, not quite as cold as monday but not far off, am I just a pathetic girlie wimp after all???:blush:

longers

Legendary Member
And once you get all nice and wrapped up warm, a good way of cooling down as oppposed to unzipping the front zips is to roll up your sleeves. You lose heat very quickly from your forearms. I tried this recently and it's been great for when you have to head up a hill or are too warm generally. It's loses more heat quicker as you can have bare skin exposed easier than stopping to take your vest off.

I can't remember where I read this advice (possibly BR) but it's a good one.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

I was going to say its not the cooling down thats the problem, but if i added its the getting warm in the first place, well I'd hate you to get the wrong impression;)

Top Bottom