Surviving the cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Well I went out today to try the new gear, long sleeve jersey, fleece and water proof jacket, by 2 miles the jacket air flow zips were down, by 5 miles the jacket was off! think I'm going to have to play about a bit with this but at least I have more options now. However the 3/4 leggins under my fleece ones were perfect and the thermal socks plus a thin pair were fine except for the last few miles. My face was bloody cold though!
I think I went about 26 miles but my odo decided to zero itself so I can't be sure.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I thought about a gum shield and filling the bottles up with boiling water to start the ride with so they cool down gradually....I dunno...
I'd discount a gum shield straight away - they're a bit of a bugger to breathe through when you're working hard. I managed when I did kickboxing, but we got breaks from the damned things between rounds ;)

Cyclebum, I'm fairly local to you (Heald Green) and in today's weather I found 3/4 bibs plus thermal long sleeve plus short sleeve jersey was enough - no headwear other than the cycle helmet with glove liners plus mitts for the hands. Started out feeling cold, but was nice and comfy after about five minutes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I thought about a gum shield and filling the bottles up with boiling water to start the ride with so they cool down gradually....I dunno...
I'd discount a gum shield straight away - they're a bit of a bugger to breathe through when you're working hard. I managed when I did kickboxing, but we got breaks from the damned things between rounds ;)

Cyclebum, I'm fairly local to you (Heald Green) and in today's weather I found 3/4 bibs plus thermal long sleeve plus short sleeve jersey was enough - no headwear other than the cycle helmet with glove liners plus mitts for the hands. Started out feeling cold, but was nice and comfy after about five minutes.

longers

Legendary Member
It would be easier to regulate temperature on a bike if we lived somewhere with a more predictable weather system.
Two days are rarely the same and so you find what suits for mild and dry, then next day it's cold and dry, then mild and wet, then cold wet and windy, then mild dry and windy, then cold and dry again but mild wet and windy in the afternoon. ;).
Layers and somewhere to put/carry them work for me.

longers

Legendary Member
It would be easier to regulate temperature on a bike if we lived somewhere with a more predictable weather system.
Two days are rarely the same and so you find what suits for mild and dry, then next day it's cold and dry, then mild and wet, then cold wet and windy, then mild dry and windy, then cold and dry again but mild wet and windy in the afternoon. ;).
Layers and somewhere to put/carry them work for me.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Hi John,when I took my daughter to school and the temp was 0.5, so I went home and had breakfast then set of about 10.30 thinking it would still be quite cold but it was obviously not as cold as monday. It was a beautiful day though and I enjoyed my ride on the whole.
This is another story but.. I was trying a new ride which essentially follows a couple of national cycle routes (1 down, then the other to loop back home.) A couple of times the signs disappeared but I just about managed, but then almost 3/4 of the way round the path disappeared due to a bypass being built and no detour!! I was out of my area and not in the most desirable of ones either. Luckily for once in my life I not only had a map but I actually managed to read it. With a short detour I was able to cut across back on to my route down and then retrace my steps back from there. But for a moment I almost had a bit of a panic on.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Hi John,when I took my daughter to school and the temp was 0.5, so I went home and had breakfast then set of about 10.30 thinking it would still be quite cold but it was obviously not as cold as monday. It was a beautiful day though and I enjoyed my ride on the whole.
This is another story but.. I was trying a new ride which essentially follows a couple of national cycle routes (1 down, then the other to loop back home.) A couple of times the signs disappeared but I just about managed, but then almost 3/4 of the way round the path disappeared due to a bypass being built and no detour!! I was out of my area and not in the most desirable of ones either. Luckily for once in my life I not only had a map but I actually managed to read it. With a short detour I was able to cut across back on to my route down and then retrace my steps back from there. But for a moment I almost had a bit of a panic on.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm just glad I don't live down south with these horrific tales of cold weather.;)
After a summer of inclement weather I have been able to break personal best mileage records in October and November due to the fine autumn weather.:biggrin::smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm just glad I don't live down south with these horrific tales of cold weather.;)
After a summer of inclement weather I have been able to break personal best mileage records in October and November due to the fine autumn weather.:biggrin::smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
cyclebum said:
Cheshire is not exactly what you would call 'south'

Ah, according to a recent article in the Independent, about the sitcom "The Likely Lads" James Bolam was the 'only real northerner' in it, Rodney Bewes having been born in Bradford. My friend from Newcastle comfirms that the 'North' starts more or less at the Wear or Tyne...

Compared to Newcastle, Cheshire is virtually equatorial...

Arch

Married to Night Train
cyclebum said:
Cheshire is not exactly what you would call 'south'

Ah, according to a recent article in the Independent, about the sitcom "The Likely Lads" James Bolam was the 'only real northerner' in it, Rodney Bewes having been born in Bradford. My friend from Newcastle comfirms that the 'North' starts more or less at the Wear or Tyne...

Compared to Newcastle, Cheshire is virtually equatorial...

Top Bottom