Surviving the cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
watched biker chick, impressed

ordered one after today's fresh conditions

bones and roses

there's quite a choice isn't there

snorri

Legendary Member
cyclebum said:
Cheshire is not exactly what you would call 'south'
Everywhere south of Aviemore is 'south'.

;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:
I'm just glad I don't live down south with these horrific tales of cold weather.;)
After a summer of inclement weather I have been able to break personal best mileage records in October and November due to the fine autumn weather.:biggrin::smile:

Having been born in Nairn, I with Snorri on this one.

But if it really gets cold if it really gets cold you could try this web site for advice... Note that where it lists Cold Wet Climates one of them is not an American state:tongue:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:
I'm just glad I don't live down south with these horrific tales of cold weather.;)
After a summer of inclement weather I have been able to break personal best mileage records in October and November due to the fine autumn weather.:biggrin::smile:

Having been born in Nairn, I with Snorri on this one.

But if it really gets cold if it really gets cold you could try this web site for advice... Note that where it lists Cold Wet Climates one of them is not an American state:tongue:

snorri

Legendary Member
Hairy Jock said:
one of them is not an American state:tongue:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I think the hypothermia warnings are very relevant. It worries me at times that inexperienced people read on this and similar forums of people cycling in shorts and failing to carry any additional clothing which might be a lifesaver in event of breakdown or unplanned stoppages. You would get away with it in the cities, but it's a different story in the great outdoors.
I'm in serious mood tonight.;) :biggrin:

snorri

Legendary Member
Hairy Jock said:
one of them is not an American state:tongue:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I think the hypothermia warnings are very relevant. It worries me at times that inexperienced people read on this and similar forums of people cycling in shorts and failing to carry any additional clothing which might be a lifesaver in event of breakdown or unplanned stoppages. You would get away with it in the cities, but it's a different story in the great outdoors.
I'm in serious mood tonight.;) :biggrin:

Check out the bargains section on Wiggle. If you're small they've got an endura merino top at over 50 percent off. I love merino wool, especially useful if it's testicle-freezing oone way to work and sunny and relatively warm the other. They also have winter bikesters for men and women - not rock bottom prices, but still good value.

Tchibo are selling their ski gear this week. I've used their base and mid layers - great value. The rather tasteful hat is brilliant when it's sub-zero: does make you look like a slightly challenged 7-year-old though.

Hairy Jock said:
Note that where it lists Cold Wet Climates one of them is not an American state:tongue:

Isn't it a large county in northern England? ;);)

longers

Legendary Member
snorri said:
;):biggrin::biggrin:

I agree, you may well be ok while moving but when you stop (mechanical or a visit perhaps) you could well get into trouble.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Never mind the cold today, what about the wind and rain? The forcast a few days ago was good for today and I planned a ride to try out the saddle I have very kindly been loaned. It will have to wait now, though the rest of the week is looking the same. The cold I am prepred to tackle, but wind and rain? where's the fun it that.;)

frog

I fitted new, shorter handlebars, grips and bar ends on Friday and hadn't the opportunity to test it until this morning. So, it was flippin' parky and I had a really weird bike under my hands. Came home nearly fours later with parts of the frog either with no sensation or far too much, in the form of pain.

Out of the wind it wasn't all that bad. But, there were a couple of those really bad moments when you turn a corner and all of a sudden it's like you're trying to cycle through treacle.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Look upon the wind as another form of resistance training helping you to improve your strength and stamina. As for the rain, if one have the right clothing it shouldn't be a problem, if you are warm and dry on the inside you can enjoy the contrast with the outside. Think positive, it is character building, the mental strength you will gain from over coming these minor obstacles will help you when the going get really tough...

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

mmmm, think I'll let the cold do it's best to begin with before I consider the wet. Besides just having forked out for warm kit, I don't think I can afford to kit out for full wet weather just yet.
As for character building, I have already I have astonished myself so much already this year and the best is still to come next february. I'm getting too old for too much too soon, my husband keeps telling me I'm at a dangerous age ;);)xx(

Top Bottom