Surviving the cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

cyclebum

For us here in the middle so to speak, were north of Watford Gap ( by a long way) so thats good enough for me but I would say newcastle was bordering on Arctic (or is it the other one , my geography is worse than my spelling;))

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

For us here in the middle so to speak, were north of Watford Gap ( by a long way) so thats good enough for me but I would say newcastle was bordering on Arctic (or is it the other one , my geography is worse than my spelling;))

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
cyclebum said:
... A couple of times the signs disappeared but I just about managed, but then almost 3/4 of the way round the path disappeared due to a bypass being built and no detour!!...

The airport loop is a bit like that - I've given up on trying to follow it, and just head down roads that look nice ;) Well done for finding your way back though!

I rather fancy trying this one at some point;

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/i-team-17th-March-2007

Although it'll be a big jump in mileage for me.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
cyclebum said:
... A couple of times the signs disappeared but I just about managed, but then almost 3/4 of the way round the path disappeared due to a bypass being built and no detour!!...

The airport loop is a bit like that - I've given up on trying to follow it, and just head down roads that look nice ;) Well done for finding your way back though!

I rather fancy trying this one at some point;

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/i-team-17th-March-2007

Although it'll be a big jump in mileage for me.

yenrod

'Bum - when weathers like this I wear a wool jumper and a winter top - you know the thick type with 3 pockets in back.

If it gets any colder then the roady hat goes on under helmet...

Not pleasant at start but you usually warm up - but you know its a REALLY cold day if you dont !

yenrod

'Bum - when weathers like this I wear a wool jumper and a winter top - you know the thick type with 3 pockets in back.

If it gets any colder then the roady hat goes on under helmet...

Not pleasant at start but you usually warm up - but you know its a REALLY cold day if you dont !

Tynan

Veteran
frost and even ice when I took the kids in, set off about 9.15, bib longs, long sleeve jersey and a cheap and cheerful showerproof top, and overshoes

fine and tending to the hot, suspect it would have been cold in just jersey, I finished with the showerproof top unzipped, took it fairly easy today mind

it was so cold that I found the tiniest amounts of zip undoing made really differences, a little of the air today made a big big difference

anyway, I'm confident now that that setup will get me through the whole winter

Tynan

Veteran
frost and even ice when I took the kids in, set off about 9.15, bib longs, long sleeve jersey and a cheap and cheerful showerproof top, and overshoes

fine and tending to the hot, suspect it would have been cold in just jersey, I finished with the showerproof top unzipped, took it fairly easy today mind

it was so cold that I found the tiniest amounts of zip undoing made really differences, a little of the air today made a big big difference

anyway, I'm confident now that that setup will get me through the whole winter

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Great news, the buffs have arrived anfd I only ordered them wednesday afternoon. I have been having a play with them and can't wait to try them out.;):smile:

John I've looked at your route and that is in my direction. I have done parts of it in other routes at some point. Most of the time I just go out and ride where the mood takes me until I start to get too tired and then head home. Following pre set routes have often proved tricky for me especially when I'm out on my own, but this looks a good one to try. I may be going out Sunday and could give it a go, as long as the weather is cold enough to wear all my new gear that is;):biggrin:

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Great news, the buffs have arrived anfd I only ordered them wednesday afternoon. I have been having a play with them and can't wait to try them out.;):smile:

John I've looked at your route and that is in my direction. I have done parts of it in other routes at some point. Most of the time I just go out and ride where the mood takes me until I start to get too tired and then head home. Following pre set routes have often proved tricky for me especially when I'm out on my own, but this looks a good one to try. I may be going out Sunday and could give it a go, as long as the weather is cold enough to wear all my new gear that is;):biggrin:

Kevin Howton

My tips for keeping extremities warm; Under-gloves (Decathlon have silk ones about £7), headband or cap mainly for ears, merino wool socks and overshoes. The under-gloves and headband can be taken off and stowed in a pocket if you get too warm.

Kevin Howton

My tips for keeping extremities warm; Under-gloves (Decathlon have silk ones about £7), headband or cap mainly for ears, merino wool socks and overshoes. The under-gloves and headband can be taken off and stowed in a pocket if you get too warm.

Tynan

Veteran
watched biker chick, impressed

ordered one after today's fresh conditions

bones and roses

there's quite a choice isn't there

Top Bottom