Suspension seat posts any good ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BADGER.BRAD

Legendary Member
Location
Shropshire
Just wondered what people who have actually used them thought ? I have the use of hard tail mountain bike ( my lads) and as we are limited on space I thought about trying one rather than getting another bike. I tried a Diamond Back MTB with limited rear suspension and found it to be a big improvement over the hard tail on one of my corrugated routes.
 

All uphill

Still rolling along
Location
Somerset
I hated the one supplied on a Genesis.

Continually changing geometry (saddle to pedal distance) really was unpleasant for me.
It weighed an absolute ton too, but I still managed to throw it over the fence into the neighbour's pond.

I'm a believer in maintaining the minimum unsprung weight, so tyres are my first, and only, bike suspension.
 
Last edited:

Aston

Well-Known Member
Not really a solution reply to this... but I was thinking today how lovely the springiness (hope that's a word) of by Thorn Club Tour with a Brooks B17 was over bumps, definitely soaking up bumps and making the ride enjoyable.
 

Hilldodger

Legendary Member
Location
sunny Leicester
It depends on the type of cycling you do. I have one on my Raleigh Motus E bike and another on my green lane/bridleway bike and both are superb in those situations. But then, I've never been obsessed with weight reduction.
 

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Location
Plymouth
When I had my Wisper ebike, I fitted a cane creek thudbuster. It was expensive, about £100, but worked well. I've nothing to compare it to, but it was nicer than a rigid post
 

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Moderator
Location
Glasgow
A bike I bought years ago came with a suspension seat post: I didn't like it, took the spring inside off so it became like a rigid seat post.
But the bike was a cheap BSO, I can't say if an expensive combination of bike and post would be a better experience.
I don't really need suspension on the bikes, haven't looked further into it.
 
OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD

BADGER.BRAD

Legendary Member
Location
Shropshire
Not really a solution reply to this... but I was thinking today how lovely the springiness (hope that's a word) of by Thorn Club Tour with a Brooks B17 was over bumps, definitely soaking up bumps and making the ride enjoyable.
Funnily enough I decided to take my folder out for a spin today ( admittedly a bumpy gritty road route rather than full off road)) It is equipped with a super cheap sprung saddle ( £10) and couldn't believe just how smooth it was. I thought after the MTB I would feel everything with only having 20 " wheels . May be I should swap the seats as a test ?
 

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
It depends.

Some ofnthe cheap posts are appalling and short lived. Some of the more expensive ones, particularly the parallelogram type, are incredible.

Comfort seat posts would be a better term for them. Suspension exists to maximise the wheel's contact with the groubd and thus improve primary aspects of chassis behaviour, with comfort as a seconfwry function. These posts do no such thing, existing, merely to minimise the buzz making it through to your arriss.
 
Top Bottom