Swapping shifters (tiagra to 105)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
I've brought some new 5700 105 shifters that I want to put on my defy composite 3 (2013) which currently has tiagra shifters

The only reason is for the aesthetics, I hate he washing lines coming out of the top of the tiagra ones

How easy is it to do this myself, or is it a job for the LBS ?

There is plenty of youtube coverage on this if you wish to DIY
take look first to see if you can manage it... :smile:
Bar tape off for another outer/inner cable to be attached to the bars .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsMAnWYu3Qg
Will give you some idea

Last edited:
You probably won't find a Youtube clip that does the exact procedure so rather look for these procedures:
1) Remove bartape, remove shifters, remove cables. (You don't really need a video to do this.
2) Fit new shifters.
3) Fit new cables.
4) Wrap new bartape
5) Anchor cables at RD and FD and adjust gears.

You will need:
1) Stanley knife.
2) 5mm allen key
3) cable cutter or side cutters. Cable housing is very difficult to cut with a side-cutter so use this as an excuse to get a cable cutter.
4) Long-nose plier/Leatherman.
5) Scissors.
6) Appropriately coloured Nitto insulation tape.

The latter is to replace the stupid inflexible tape supplied with the bartape kit. I specify Nitto because this is the only quality tape I know of that doesn't pull back and leave sticky residue in its wake. Flexible and stretchable tape does a far neater job than the supplied tape.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I always found cable ties useful when installing shifters.....to hold things in place such as cables whilst you wrap the handlebar tape. Just cut them off as you tape over the relevant bit...

DaveS

If you want, you can also double wrap the bars. Leave the existing bar tape in place, fit the new cables and then wrap again over the whole thing. Can be useful if you have large hands, or want to reduce some road buzz from the bars. This time of year, its warmer too.

Top Bottom