Tablet PCs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I decided that having a desktop PC was using up too much space a few years ago and sold it for a laptop, that was fine for a while but I noticed lots of people using tablet PCs and ast week decided that I wanted one so rather than spending over 400 quid for a decent Samsung or 10 quid plus 70 quid shipping for a Chinese import thing that will last a week and cost zillions of pounds to send back I opted for a Hannspree pad, its 10.1" and I am using it with a bluetooth keyboard, the battery lasts about 2 days on the tablet and the keyboard has only been charged once in a week so a decent power saver, I can do everything that my old laptop let me do but slower, is this the same with all tablets or are some faster, who uses one and whats your thoughts, I love mine but think its lacking in speed a little.

It is a new model with quad core processor,but only 1 gig or ram, which is probably the cause of the speed being slower than I am used to, I have upgraded the storage from 16gb and added a 64gb card so I can stick some photos and a bit of music in it, its running Android 4.2.2 which will uprade to kitkat once its available to Hannspree, but still it blows my old 486DX PC of the 80s into the weeds:laugh:

ASC1951

Guru
I think you get what you pay for in the tablet world. All the geek reviews suggest that the Hannspad is not particularly well made and has a very basic spec, disappointing even against its competitors. But reviewers don't always live in the same world as the rest of us and it may be absolutely fine for what you want. I've decided to go for a Google Nexus 10 - true, it is 50% more expensive, but that's only another £85.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a samsung galaxy tab2 10.1 inch tablet. To be honest, for what I use it for its all I need. I have a sony vaio that i hardly use now accept to update my garmin etc.

Yes its slower, but I don't mind, and I can take it with me and as long as I'm in a BT hotspot I can get wi fi connection . Once my laptop goes kaput I wont bother with another one as by then the power of tablets will be even better.

I have heard that either sony or samsung wont be making anymore pc's. They're going all out on tablets?

When using it for mundane stuff like editing a photo or writing an email it is very fast, its only the internet thats letting it down and I am on VM 100mb service now and my phone is quicker at 53mbs, the tablet seems to be very laggy on tinterweb, I did read some reviews on it before I bought it and some were rather nasty towards it, but now I have it I dont think any of the reviewers actually had one to review as it seems far better than any review, its quite a lump of tablet and feels better made than any others I have handled in the shops, anyway I am happy with it so far, just wish it had a tad more ram

gbb

Legendary Member
I have a samsung galaxy tab2 10.1 inch tablet. To be honest, for what I use it for its all I need. I have a sony vaio that i hardly use now accept to update my garmin etc.

Yes its slower, but I don't mind, and I can take it with me and as long as I'm in a BT hotspot I can get wi fi connection . Once my laptop goes kaput I wont bother with another one as by then the power of tablets will be even better.

I have heard that either sony or samsung wont be making anymore pc's. They're going all out on tablets?
This echoes almost exactly my experience. Galaxy tab 2, 10.1..I have a desktop that rarely gets used by me now (although the son does use it frequently)...a Dell laptop that was a good one in its day..I never use that anymore. I'd scrap the laptop when its done and not bother again, but do like a desktop for printing etc etc.
Limitations on a tablet ?.. you do miss some functions, printing off one is a bit of a faff, but not impossible.
For simple browsing...tablet all the way.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I resisted for a long time, not wishing to have to get to grips with either Android or iOS, until my wife sneakily bought me a Lenovo Yoga 10 for my birthday, and now I wouldn't be without it.

I use it mainly for the web, but it's also great for remote access to my desktop PC so in effect I can do pretty well any computing task on it.

welsh dragon

Can't help with that DM as I've never tried to print from one. About the only thing I am disappointed with as fas as my galaxy tab is concerned is that I can't get sky go. Im a sky customer and while you can get sky go on numerous tablets including the nexus, no can do on the galaxy tab.

stephec

Legendary Member
I use my tablet a lot for giving @welshdragon grief, err I mean browsing on here, but you can't beat a proper keyboard for long posts or typing up word documents.

stephec

Legendary Member
Can't help with that DM as I've never tried to print from one. About the only thing I am disappointed with as fas as my galaxy tab is concerned is that I can't get sky go. Im a sky customer and while you can get sky go on numerous tablets including the nexus, no can do on the galaxy tab.

I found that out when I had a cheap Versus tablet, it's only available for certain makes. I'm surprised you can't get it on Samsung though as I've got it on an Aldi Medion tablet.

welsh dragon

I found that out when I had a cheap Versus tablet, it's only available for certain makes. I'm surprised you can't get it on Samsung though as I've got it on an Aldi Medion tablet.

Ive tried going into sky a couple of times. The tab isn't on theyre list :thumbsup:

Most of the big printer manufacturers have an app in the store for free, and one more thing, if I buy an app and it does paid updates does Google charge me automatically or do I get the choice to update later, I say this because I had a windows phone and paid for an app that updated at least 3 times a week and the payment just came out of our bank without letting us know...............a simple 2 quid app became about 28 quid, and I have noticed I have bought the American keyboard with no pound sign...................grrrrrrr

Top Bottom