Tacx Flux, 7 speed and long cage mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Velochris

Über Member
I am considering a Flux for my other half as she has seen me on Zwift and fancies a go.

Her bike is a 7 speed (cassette not freehub) hybrid with a long cage rear mech.

I am aware if the issues with long cage mech on the Flux. However, I'm wondering if by the time I've packed out the cassette with sufficient spacers, will the largest cog be that but further out to increase the clearance between the mech and the legs?

Anybody running this combination?

CXRAndy

Guru
I am considering a Flux for my other half as she has seen me on Zwift and fancies a go.

Her bike is a 7 speed (cassette not freehub) hybrid with a long cage rear mech.

I am aware if the issues with long cage mech on the Flux. However, I'm wondering if by the time I've packed out the cassette with sufficient spacers, will the largest cog be that but further out to increase the clearance between the mech and the legs?

Anybody running this combination?

Upgrade her bike to same gearing as your bike, then its just a bike swap. Plus brownie points that you're encouraging her cycling.

Nebulous

Guru
Might be worth buying a newer one - either the Flux s or the Flux ii then you shouldn't have the problem.

I bought a Flux from Halfords when they were even cheaper. I'm on my second one as the first was borked, though this one seems ok. I've a mid cage ultegra with a 12-32, ironically I swapped it out for a short with a 11-28 to help on the hills. It is absolutely fine on the 28 tooth cog, and just about tickles it on the 32. I think I could get off with it for a short distance if I accidentally change down too far. It isn't as simple as the derailleur, bike geometry seems to matter. I'm also using a tacx wheel raiser I had for my old turbo, which probably helps a bit.

I don't think you would get off with a long cage.

Top Bottom