Tacx Flux - or other...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi,

Looking to purchase a turbo for the winter months ahead. The one that seems to be appealing to me at the moment is the Tacx Flux. Half the price of the Neo and according to DC Rainmaker better value due to being almost half the price, with only a few features lacking that I'm not really bothered about.

I have a basic dumb turbo at the moment which I rarely used last winter but want to up my game for next year and I'm thinking along the lines of Zwift or TR to make it more bearable.

Does anyone have experience with this unit or can recommend another? Reason I'm looking at direct drive mainly is for a more realistic feel as I really don't like my current basic trainer.

Thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A reconditioned gen1 kickr is about the same £ directly from wahoo.

I have a neo which would be hard to replace, would need a wattbike atom or something :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Thanks, the wahoo intake it would be a significant upgrade over the Flux?

Had it not been for the 10 week lead time on the Atom, meaning probably Christmas in reality I would have pulled the trigger as that's ideally what I'd like, but not willing to wait half the winter. Shame...

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
A reconditioned gen1 kickr is about the same £ directly from wahoo.

I have a neo which would be hard to replace, would need a wattbike atom or something :tongue:

Funnily enough I've ordered an atom but the neo may well be superior in some ways. It's definitely quieter. According to dcrainmaker it's also got a slightly smoother feel between transitions. I got the atom partly because I thought the missus could use it too. That and the thing just looks sexy! But I have a feeling the neo will set the standard for direct drive trainers for some time yet.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
When are you expecting your Atom? When did you order it? Can't justify a Neo(although it sounds far and away the best trainer) in part because of the cost of the Atom. Wattbike have been very clever there imo with their pricing.

Another + of the Atom for me would be the missus able to use it. She doesn't have a 11speed bike so the trainer will be a compromise as she wouldn't be able to change the cassette over. Shame about availability...

bobinski

Legendary Member
If you keep an eye on Amazon they often drop NEO to £850ish and then get Halfords to price match and then IFC over 12 months. Some have also been successful in getting BC discount of 10% on top. NEO for kickr money. If you cannot wait and watch then Elite diretto now coming into stock and the one to beat price wise. If you are really patient you will see a lot of trainers on Ebay etc as the Atoms become available.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
If you keep an eye on Amazon they often drop NEO to £850ish and then get Halfords to price match and then IFC over 12 months. Some have also been successful in getting BC discount of 10% on top. NEO for kickr money. If you cannot wait and watch then Elite diretto now coming into stock and the one to beat price wise. If you are really patient you will see a lot of trainers on Ebay etc as the Atoms become available.
You're a very bad man giving people ideas :unsure::headshake::unsure::cry:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
When are you expecting your Atom? When did you order it? Can't justify a Neo(although it sounds far and away the best trainer) in part because of the cost of the Atom. Wattbike have been very clever there imo with their pricing.

Another + of the Atom for me would be the missus able to use it. She doesn't have a 11speed bike so the trainer will be a compromise as she wouldn't be able to change the cassette over. Shame about availability...

This time last week roughly. They said 6-8 weeks. If you've got your heart set on the atom I wouldn't let the wait put you off. What's a couple of months in the grand scheme of things. Ecspecially if it keeps the missus involved too. Just speaking for myself I'd rather buy once and buy right. Although I have been known to use this theory to justify things when they suit me...

Where did you take your avatar picture? 40%!

Last edited:
OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
As it turns out I'm in A+E with a broken arm after falling this afternoon. Maybe it's just fate to get the Atom as I'll be off the bike full stop for a while now!

Agree though, buying twice is never good or the feeling of buying the wrong thing. I'd never be happy with it I suspect.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I've been known to research the heck out of a purchase then just go fug it it's only money :huh:. It has served me well, as mostly by the time I pull the trigger the price has gone down. But on something like a neo, kickr or new atom there is not the competition to knock the price down so the price is the price. Even then, fug it it's only money :unsure:.

Top Bottom