Tacx Flux Smart Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fauj270

Regular
Hi All

I am looking to purchase a turbo trainer to allow me to continue cycling through the winter months. Ive come across the Tacx Flux Smart Trainer on Halfords and can use a 10% discount via British Cycling Membership. My questions are:

Is this a good investment?
Does anyone have this model and can they recommend/have they had any issues?
What other items will i need to purchase with it? Ie floor mat? Zwift app? a big fan possibly?
Any other turbo trainers you can recommend?

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flux-smart-trainer

I would like to remain fit over the winter months so that i can sign up to some sportives/events in 2019

appreciate all the help! :biggrin:

Milzy

Guru
Hi All

I am looking to purchase a turbo trainer to allow me to continue cycling through the winter months. Ive come across the Tacx Flux Smart Trainer on Halfords and can use a 10% discount via British Cycling Membership. My questions are:

Is this a good investment?
Does anyone have this model and can they recommend/have they had any issues?
What other items will i need to purchase with it? Ie floor mat? Zwift app? a big fan possibly?
Any other turbo trainers you can recommend?

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flux-smart-trainer

I would like to remain fit over the winter months so that i can sign up to some sportives/events in 2019

appreciate all the help! :biggrin:
It will do the job fine. I’ve been tempted myself but I’m waiting for the KickR core to be released. I should really get the flux and save money, but it’s just my cycle equipment snobbery.

OP
OP
F

Fauj270

Regular
It will do the job fine. I’ve been tempted myself but I’m waiting for the KickR core to be released. I should really get the flux and save money, but it’s just my cycle equipment snobbery.

Thanks Milzy! Can i ask whats the difference between this trainer and KickR, whats so special about it that your willing to wait?

Milzy

Guru
Thanks Milzy! Can i ask whats the difference between this trainer and KickR, whats so special about it that your willing to wait?
It’s a compact version of the KickR but £300 cheaper. It’s almost silent and you can use the climb add on as well as the wind simulator add on. Also simulates a lot more gradient than the flux. It’s just got more features for a good pain cave. Plus I’m just a wahoo fanboy and use their other products.
If you won’t use the trainer much don’t spend. If you think you’ll embrace structured training get something a bit better.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You’ll need a head sweat band, mat and sweat catcher that goes on the bike. Sweat corrodes carpets and bikes. I also use gloves to stop my sweat dripping onto the handlebars which also corrode from sweat. It’s a glamorous life.

Also a fan of Wahoo. I NEED the Wahoo Headwind Smart Fan. :wub:

Slick

Guru
I've thought about it and looked at different options but every time I get to deciding which one I should get, I suddenly realise that it would probably bore me to tears and end up on the bay about a week later. I even thought about going to the velodrome for some winter cycling.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I've thought about it and looked at different options but every time I get to deciding which one I should get, I suddenly realise that it would probably bore me to tears and end up on the bay about a week later. I even thought about going to the velodrome for some winter cycling.
It's not for everyone, but not everyone can spend 2-4 hours on the bike outside 3 or more times a week. Indoor riding tends to be quite intense though so 1-2 hours a time, 3 to 5 times a week will be a heavy work load if used properly. If you are into racing Zwift is the one to go to apparently.

Slick

Guru
It's not for everyone, but not everyone can spend 2-4 hours on the bike outside 3 or more times a week. Indoor riding tends to be quite intense though so 1-2 hours a time, 3 to 5 times a week will be a heavy work load if used properly. If you are into racing Zwift is the one to go to apparently.
Probably says more about me more than anything. It's more a mentality thing but I have noticed there is a couple of gyms offering Zwift or similar sessions so I also thought about trying that in the worst of the winter.

Top Bottom