Tacx set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drunkenjoiner

Ok guys, numpty alert.
I have bought a Tacx Flow Smart to see if I can get into this indoor training stuff. Just awaiting sourcing a rear wheel (not easy during this Covid-19 outbreak) as I do not want to keep changing tyres on my only road bike.
I have set up the trainer and downloaded any updates so that is fine. Downloaded the app and sorted all that. I have decided that to start with I am going to avoid the likes of Zwift etc and just work on Tacx Training plans. For this aim I watched a good Youtube video about going to Tacx cloud and "Following" training plans such as "Ground Work, Low Intensity 1". According to the video once that is done go back to the app and select workouts by People you follow and they will be there.
Mine are not. They shown Tacx cloud but not in the app.
Do you have to sign up to Premium for them to be available? I thought if they were on my cloud they would be on my app.
Please any advice appreciated.
Kind regards,
DJ

BurningLegs

Veteran
I can't assist with the Tacx app setup, but I have the same trainer and have never bothered with a training specific tyre. It depends on what tyre you use of course, but my road tyre has lasted years on the turbo.

If you're only planning to use it during lockdown I'd save the expense of the trainer tyre :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They are premium features, so yes you’d need to sign up to their subscription model.

You need to sign into the app with the same email you log into the cloud. This applies whether free or premium.

For free you can create your own workouts. First thing to do is the built in ramp test to set your FTP. Then you can create workouts as a percentage of your FTP. As you get fitter you can retest about once every four weeks and see your ftp increase and not need to edit the workouts, they will automatically adjust to the new level.

The workouts you create will synchronise to the app if you are signed in.

Good luck I use the Tacx apps but just free with the workouts I’ve created.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't assist with the Tacx app setup, but I have the same trainer and have never bothered with a training specific tyre. It depends on what tyre you use of course, but my road tyre has lasted years on the turbo.

If you're only planning to use it during lockdown I'd save the expense of the trainer tyre :smile:

This. I just use a standard tyre on mine, and no sign of wear after 4 years.

I have in the past used Michelin Pro Race tyres on the turbo. If you put too much pressure on the tyre, then they will wear. You just need enough to stop the wheel slipping when you put the power down.

Ive not bothered with the Tacx app.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

Thanks the trainer I bought came with a free tacx trainer tyre that is the reason I was going to set up another wheel with it on. Still the expense of an extra wheel though. Hadn't even cosidered using the one already on mmmmmmm maybe.
Kind regards DJ

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you want to try something on the cheap then how about using all the free trials that are available. For example if you have never tried Sufferfest then the ALLINSUFPLAN code at registration will give you a 45 day free trial rather than 14. There are plenty of free trials that are way better than thew standard Tacx offering. RGT is free at the moment too.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

They are premium features, so yes you’d need to sign up to their subscription model.

You need to sign into the app with the same email you log into the cloud. This applies whether free or premium.

For free you can create your own workouts. First thing to do is the built in ramp test to set your FTP. Then you can create workouts as a percentage of your FTP. As you get fitter you can retest about once every four weeks and see your ftp increase and not need to edit the workouts, they will automatically adjust to the new level.

The workouts you create will synchronise to the app if you are signed in.

Good luck I use the Tacx apps but just free with the workouts I’ve created.
Thanks for your brilliant reply. Seen the Ramp/Ftp test and do intend to do that asap. I only have one Tacx account so I'm sure I've signed in correctly, I guess it is as you say because I haven't fully signed up the Premium one's I have followed in cloud will only show up on the app when I do. As I can get a good idea what the plan looks like on cloud I assume there is no reason I cannot create my own similar and use those on the app?
Kind regards
DJ

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

Oh and when you put the wheel on the turbo, do the calibration step. This sets the rolling resistance and power values, so the figures it displays are consistent and realistic. Try and keep training tyre at same pressure each time you use it.
Yeah I have read that one somewhere.
Thanks again
DJ

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

If you want to try something on the cheap then how about using all the free trials that are available. For example if you have never tried Sufferfest then the ALLINSUFPLAN code at registration will give you a 45 day free trial rather than 14. There are plenty of free trials that are way better than thew standard Tacx offering. RGT is free at the moment too.
Thank you so much I will take a look at these.
Kind regards
DJ

CXRAndy

Guru
I tried the Tacx desktop app once. I downloaded a few films and was able to ride one of the routes. I then tried a few weeks later, all the videos were locked, I needed to subscribe to access

Venod

Eh up
I tried the Tacx desktop app once. I downloaded a few films and was able to ride one of the routes. I then tried a few weeks later, all the videos were locked, I needed to subscribe to access

There are about 200 quality videos now I think, for about a tenner a month, gps rides and workouts etc, I subscribe but I am not a Zwift fan, I suppose if you subscribe to other platforms it might be a bit of a stretch just to use it now and again.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are about 200 quality videos now I think, for about a tenner a month, gps rides and workouts etc, I subscribe but I am not a Zwift fan, I suppose if you subscribe to other platforms it might be a bit of a stretch just to use it now and again.
I wanted to try out my Neo on their own platform. I run two other subscriptions, so didn't want to have another.

OP
OP
Drunkenjoiner

Drunkenjoiner

Guys, with Tacx in particular is the 9.99 euros month by month please? Not sure if i will take to the whole turbo thing so do not want to get too tied in. As you say if it is, for a tenner it is worth a try.
Kind regards
DJ

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As @YukonBoy says the training plans are a premium feature. I'm not entirely convinced that the plans alone are actually worth the subscription. I've started out on the "Groundwork" and it's really no more interesting than some of the plans available for free (eg the Bora Hansgrohe plan that you can find in public workouts). I don't know much anything about structured training so take my opinions on that with a pinch of salt.

As @YukonBoy also notes there is a (non premium feature) FTP ramp test, and also a 20 min effort FTP test. I always have trouble locating the 20 min effort test. I can't remember where it is in the menus, but it's not where you'd expect! Once you've done the test it automatically stores your FTP in your profile, so when you do a power based workout it then knows what, say, 75% FTP means in Watts.

What you might be interested in as other premium features are:
The ability to upload your own GPX files and ride simulations of them.
The ability to ride the real time movies.

I've activated a free month of Premium that came with my trainer, and I think the real time movies are absolutely ace. I've really enjoyed them. Not sure whether I'll move onto a paid subscription though as there are other simulators like Bkool and BigRingVR* that also do this kind of thing and may be better, I don't know I've not tried them yet.

Then of course there's Zwift, but I know sod all about that. Apparently it's for sociable people so that's me ruled out.

* requires an ANT+ dongle to connect to my PC. So can't try that until I get one ... which given how things are may take a while to deliver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom