Tacx Vortex Smart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harveymt

I'm looking to get an indoor trainer for over the winter. I spent months picking a bike and fancy a TV in the New Year sales so that's more months of research so I'm hoping just to buy a trainer without thnking too much!

Most places I've seen pick the Tacx Vortex Smart as the mid range one to go for. I had a few questions about the software to go with it.

1.) I dont have a laptop or dekstop and operate entirely off an Android phone so I think that for the moment rules out Zwift which requires a PC/Mac?

2.) I downloaded Trainerroad just to have a look at the app. Again, I think this requires a monthly subscription to work? Does it have real life rides ? Can i program my own or just use what ones they create?

3.) The tacx app doesnt seem to easily export to Strava, is that still correct? Does Trainerroad?

4.) Is there any software where I could download rides, for free or paid, and then just use them as and when without the need for an ongoing subscription? That is, I could subscribe to something for a couple of months over the winter then have a few rides downloaded I could use when I wanted over the summer if I couldn't get out.

Cheers!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
1.) At the moment you need a PC although they have an iOS version in beta. I don't think a phone is ever going to cut it.
2.) This is more about post ride analysis, unless it has changed there is no real life video. Yes, there is a subscription. Golden Cheetha is a free alternative.
3.) You can export a tcx, which you can then import into Strava.
4.) I would suggest you just start with the Tacx App.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Kipster posted this link
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...sh-Cycling-and-TrainingPeaks-training-plans-0
It has free Training Peaks plans from britsh cycling.

There is a fairly healthy set of leagues running on bkool from here, subscription done montly or yearly and IIRC able to skip complete months and have that carried over. Check the faq here and long bkool post for further info. The leagues cater for all abilities. The monster to mammoths.

I just ordered myself a TacX vortex smart last night, should be here tomorrow. I'm super excited. I'm more of an MTB rider (I know I'm kind of on the wrong forum) but I'm planning to put my 26" MTB on it. I'm opting to go on BKool, I'm actually really excited about it. I think it will be a ton of fun and keep me motivated to work out. I need some competition to keep me motivated, whether that's from other people or competing against my past times. I'm new to the smart trainer world, so there'll be a learning curve I'm sure.

From what I've seen with Bkool, you could pay by month and then just let it lapse when you don't want to use it, like in the summer. I'm planning to use it year round so I may just buy the yearly subscription and save $2 a month. We'll see.

Buck

Guru
I just ordered myself a TacX vortex smart last night, should be here tomorrow. I'm super excited. I'm more of an MTB rider (I know I'm kind of on the wrong forum) but I'm planning to put my 26" MTB on it. I'm opting to go on BKool, I'm actually really excited about it. I think it will be a ton of fun and keep me motivated to work out. I need some competition to keep me motivated, whether that's from other people or competing against my past times. I'm new to the smart trainer world, so there'll be a learning curve I'm sure.

From what I've seen with Bkool, you could pay by month and then just let it lapse when you don't want to use it, like in the summer. I'm planning to use it year round so I may just buy the yearly subscription and save $2 a month. We'll see.

I have the Vortex Smart - great bit of kit especially on Zwift

If you're using your MTB, make sure you put a smooth tyre on. I tried mine with a knobbly tyre on and it wasn't the best ride comfort wise and kept slipping.

OP
OP
H

harveymt

Am I right in thinking that if I buy the trainer I will also then need to buy an ANT+ dongle for my phone so it can communicate with the trainer?

Tacx seem to do the only micro USB one but could a normal USB ANT+ dongle be used connected to the phone by a OTG USB adapter cable?

Would anyone know if I use Trainerroad on my android phone can it be minimised and let me watch Netflix/Amazon while it works away in the background?

If it won't do this I see from the Trainerroad FAQ page that it doesn't need an internet connection to work once everything is downloaded so I could use a tablet I have lying about to record workouts and stream from the phone.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Using your phone you should be able to use Bluetooth or if your phone supports it ANT+. A lot depends on the software you want to use. For example trh Tacx software works on Bluetooth. I have not had problems in minimising apps into the background. I tend to use either the Tacx RLVs on my iPad or Zwift/Velo Reality on my laptop depending on how I feel.

Top Bottom