tacx vortex

Bianchi boy

Über Member
well, i purchased a pre used tacx vortex smart trainer this week, thinking i would be flying up spanish mountains in the comfort of my garage But sadly after two days trying to connect the thing via bluetooth and/ or ant+ absolutely no joy whatsoever ended up contacting Garmin support (who now own tacx) and they inform me that the vortex is not compatible with, Zwift, BKool, Rouvy or any other online cycle app, except their own Tacx trainer app.... Disappointed is not the word :cry:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902
Umm, I used a Vortex on Zwift and bkool. Did you update the firmware?

OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Umm, I used a Vortex on Zwift and bkool. Did you update the firmware?

Hi Thanks for the reply, yes i updated the firmware, the agent from garmin asked me for the model number which is located on the unit and it was "T1961" once i supplied that information he then informed me it would not work:ohmy::ohmy: it appears the unit may be old, the latest version is T2180

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
That version is the non smart version unfortunately. My old Vortex is the T2180 and definitely smart.

was it advertised as SMART or just Vortex?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Worst case scenario you can add either a power meter or speed sensor to your bike. The trainer won't dynamically adjust the resistance based on the in-game incline but your speed will respond to your effort.

OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Thank you for the replies , apologies for not replying sooner,1. yes i purchased it as a smart trainer- it actually functions as a "smart" trainer when used in conjunction with the tacx training app, 2.yes it does calculate power output which comes across pretty accurate, and 3.yes on the cycling app once i hit an incline the on screen speed does reduce. i do have speed/cadence sensor on my trainer bike, so not the end of the world :okay::okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The T9161 only speaks ANT+ . Since ANT+ is a series of defined if propriety standards (Garmin). I wonder if you might get somewhere with an ANT+ dongle plugged into a PC. Of course the T9161 and T9162 head unit might talk their own Ill defined version within ANT+.