tacx vortex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bianchi boy

Über Member
well, i purchased a pre used tacx vortex smart trainer this week, thinking i would be flying up spanish mountains in the comfort of my garage But sadly after two days trying to connect the thing via bluetooth and/ or ant+ absolutely no joy whatsoever ended up contacting Garmin support (who now own tacx) and they inform me that the vortex is not compatible with, Zwift, BKool, Rouvy or any other online cycle app, except their own Tacx trainer app.... Disappointed is not the word :cry:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Umm, I used a Vortex on Zwift and bkool. Did you update the firmware?

OP
OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Umm, I used a Vortex on Zwift and bkool. Did you update the firmware?

Hi Thanks for the reply, yes i updated the firmware, the agent from garmin asked me for the model number which is located on the unit and it was "T1961" once i supplied that information he then informed me it would not work:ohmy::ohmy: it appears the unit may be old, the latest version is T2180

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
That version is the non smart version unfortunately. My old Vortex is the T2180 and definitely smart.

was it advertised as SMART or just Vortex?

BurningLegs

Veteran
Worst case scenario you can add either a power meter or speed sensor to your bike. The trainer won't dynamically adjust the resistance based on the in-game incline but your speed will respond to your effort.

OP
OP
Bianchi boy

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Thank you for the replies , apologies for not replying sooner,1. yes i purchased it as a smart trainer- it actually functions as a "smart" trainer when used in conjunction with the tacx training app, 2.yes it does calculate power output which comes across pretty accurate, and 3.yes on the cycling app once i hit an incline the on screen speed does reduce. i do have speed/cadence sensor on my trainer bike, so not the end of the world :okay::okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The T9161 only speaks ANT+ . Since ANT+ is a series of defined if propriety standards (Garmin). I wonder if you might get somewhere with an ANT+ dongle plugged into a PC. Of course the T9161 and T9162 head unit might talk their own Ill defined version within ANT+.

jaysbass2002

I have the Vortex smart version. Two weeks after I purchased it new I did a firmware update. Immediately after I lost all power and speed readings. I can connect via PC or Android but no readings. Can anyone tell me what LED colors flash upon plugging it in. I get 3 red to green flashes, 3 quick green, 3 slow green then it flashes the normal green light. I contacted tacx and they told me that all I can do is send it in and they will send me a new one at the cost of $230. I have to pay shipping on both!! Send old one in as well. I think I'm being screwed!! Their firmware locked it up and now I'm stuck with a boat anchor.

Buck

Guru
I have the Vortex smart version. Two weeks after I purchased it new I did a firmware update. Immediately after I lost all power and speed readings. I can connect via PC or Android but no readings. Can anyone tell me what LED colors flash upon plugging it in. I get 3 red to green flashes, 3 quick green, 3 slow green then it flashes the normal green light. I contacted tacx and they told me that all I can do is send it in and they will send me a new one at the cost of $230. I have to pay shipping on both!! Send old one in as well. I think I'm being screwed!! Their firmware locked it up and now I'm stuck with a boat anchor.

Is it not in warranty if it was only two weeks old?!

From memory the LED flashes red then when connection is made, turns to green.

If you want to I can plug mine in and take a look tomorrow for you. I've now got a Tax Neo so the Vortex is not being used at the moment.

jaysbass2002

I purchased the Vortex second hand. Not sure why I said new?? All worked perfectly before the firmware update. Please if you could plug it in and update me on the LED flash sequence at start up. I'm trying to avoid replacement. I'm positive it's a software issue as the updated froze the first time and said to unplug the unit and plug it back in. The update did complete the next time through and shows up connected to Android and PC but not data showing. Thank you!

Buck

Guru
Hi

I've just fired up the Vortex. (that sounds wrong!)

When first powered up it flashed an amber LED then a couple of red flashes then alternating Red/Green (approx 4) before a slow flashing green (from memory) indicating it's ready to connect to your PC etc.

Hope that helps.

jaysbass2002

Hi

I've just fired up the Vortex. (that sounds wrong!)

When first powered up it flashed an amber LED then a couple of red flashes then alternating Red/Green (approx 4) before a slow flashing green (from memory) indicating it's ready to connect to your PC etc.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. Yeah mine does flash a quick amber then red green a couple times than the slow green. Really irritated that it was fine before the firmware update. Apparently I'm not alone.

Top Bottom