Taekwondo - have you done it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
There is a Taekwondo class starting near me soon. It says it is aimed at all abilities. (I am not sure if I have spelt it corrently, but that is the spelling the notice gives it).

Can anyone explain briefly what is involved and did they benefit.

I would like to increase my core strength, and balance, and co-ordination. Can you suggest a website to see what sort of actions there are in Taekwondo? I would rather not be involved in hand to hand combat, and/or thrown on the floor. I looked at one website and it mentionned various Forms, which left me a bit confused.

Many years ago, I did Boxit, which is like boxing but without the contact with your opponent. I really enjoyed that and only finished due to clashes with my working hours. That class is no longer running.

It sounds like people are welcome to the class to try it out, but it would still be helpful to know more about it.

I used to watch it from time to time - tough stuff. Plenty of stretching, core skills etc and pretty fast! Good luck, it was too scary for me.:biggrin:

I would prefer bakery classes where I could take one dough and pull it around...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I did it for two years at uni, they do work on fitness and stretching. I enjoyed it and it it helped me stay fit and supple. We also learnt self defence methods.

Our classes did not do full contact like you see in the olympics. A little light sparring with gloves and foot pads. I never felt intimidated or got hurt.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Aperitif said:
I used to watch it from time to time - tough stuff. Plenty of stretching, core skills etc and pretty fast! Good luck, it was too scary for me.:biggrin:

I would prefer bakery classes where I could take one dough and pull it around...

I kneaded that sort of advice.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Hacienda71 said:
I did it for two years at uni, they do work on fitness and stretching. I enjoyed it and it it helped me stay fit and supple. We also learnt self defence methods.

Our classes did not do full contact like you see in the olympics. A little light sparring with gloves and foot pads. I never felt intimidated or got hurt.

Light sparring is preferable to full contact.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The Patterns on that website - are they patterns on the ground?
I do not think I cannot raise my leg to the height of my shoulder. :biggrin:

It looks a bit like form of Tai Chi that I did, which was based on self defence. But I would like something that raises the heart rate a bit more.
Think I might try the class and see.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I never got my leg that high either;) but the stretching helped me become much more supple. That element (the patterns) are like a more energetic tai chi, you do those to get your coloured belts. The training sessions were good exercise, give it a go.

jeltz

Veteran
My martial arts instructor started in TKD but trained in a load of other stuff. We grade using TKD patterns but learn lots of other stuff on top of the TKD "sylabus" and I'll be grading for my black belt in May.

Typically there wouldn't be ground fighting in a TKD club but you would do some set attacks and defences, where contact is in involved and you can get bruised blocking punches but not greatly. Much of the kicking and punching technique is practised in line or against pads.

Sparring in our club means light contact unless you are of a senior grade and both members are happy to take it up a notch. In a good club you won't get heavy contact between lower grades, occasionally if we get someone that ignores the calls for light contact, they won't be allowed to spar against their own grade. Protective clothing is required and generally a requirement of the club's insurance. Head guards, shin pads, groin guards (for the men especially) and foot pads as well as some kind of glove and a gum shield.

Some contact is good though as you get conditioned to it and if you ever have to rely on it then that's not the time to experience what its like to be hit.

TKD and other MA's is great for core strength, flexibility, coordination, balance and overall fitness and also helps to boost confidence, discipline and self reliance.

The forms you mention are just a sequence of attacks and defences against imaginary opponents, and are performed a bit like a dance. They seem daunting initially but you'll pick them up quite easily and obviously the more you progress through the grades the more technically demanding they are.

The most important thing though is one we can't advise you on and that's what's the instructor/club like. The art is good and very accessible but you can still get a crap instructor.

monnet

Guru
I started TKD this autumn just gone or the same reasons (core strength etc) and as something different to cycling. I really enjoy it.

As others have said - good stretching, core strength. Most of the beginners classes are made up of patterns and basic self defence techniques. THere is a bit of light sparring (mainly with pads though) and certainly no full contact sessions except at the higher levels.

I wasn't sure if i'd continue one the cycling season gets in to full swing but 5 months on I am pretty sure I will. First grading on Monday!

jeltz

Veteran
Speicher said:
I have spoken to the Tutor. He has suggested going along, and watching one lesson, taking part in the next one, and then deciding whether to continue. He mentionned light sparring.

That sounds promising, watching will give you a good idea what the class is like. Most clubs will let you do a couple of "trial" sessions before you join and buy a suit.

monnet said:
First grading on Monday!
Good luck, try to enjoy it!

Top Bottom